I found fry!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wasn’t trying to breed anything but just saw some fry swimming around in the tank. Problem is, I don’t know what they are. Guppies or Zebra danios?

There’s just two. Did the rest get eaten? The danios were attacking them, so I saved them into a net and floated them into a corner temporarily. I have a 2 gallon that I can get ready by tomorrow after transferring its fish to his permanent home. I really don’t have any other option because my other tanks have bettas, silver tip tetras, and red eye tetras.

Will they be ok in the floating net until tomorrow? What else do I need to do? Clearly I wasn’t planning for this.

IMG_4594.jpg

Yes, otherwise they'd have been snacks.

You do what you can and get the other set up soon. Look for more fry, since the big fish will be.

There are fry net /breeder boxes. Just beware there is less flow through them, and you can get ammonia spike in the water in the breeder net. So if you use one, it is good to rinse out the net after feeding and even a couple times a day with a cup or 2 of tank water.

Hikari makes a food for baby fish called First Bites. You can find it from a good lfs or if not there, usually available at the big box stores.

There are fry net /breeder boxes. Just beware there is less flow through them, and you can get ammonia spike in the water in the breeder net. So if you use one, it is good to rinse out the net after feeding and even a couple times a day with a cup or 2 of tank water.

Thanks Autumnsky! Good to know. Btw, do you know what breed of fry I got here?

I googled.

Result: inconclusive. ? but I am leaning toward guppy because of the tail.

Attachments

• IMG_4595.jpg
    IMG_4595.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4597.jpg
    IMG_4597.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4596.jpg
    IMG_4596.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 67
Looks similar, lol. The positive is you'll likely get more Guppy fry, they are prolific and you can save them or leave them as nature food.

Back
Top Bottom