I GOT DISCUS EGGS!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ky'smommy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so my fish started acting weird....... so i removed all other fishh undiscus yesterday. so I left tonight about an hour ago and came home to find EGGS.. ORANGE eggs on the filter intake..
I must have dones something right. I lost a discus only 2 days ago to unknown causes but to find this..
Im so excited im shaking.........
Ive waited for this day since i first found out about discus fish..
Its an exciting day..
now i just got to fiigure out what i should do...
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Maybe the other that died discus was bullied..... Being a pair in the tank could have felt threatned and chased it around.
CONGRATS on the eggs!

My 2c Turn the heater up to about 30deg celcius. and add methylene blue to help with fungus on the eggs.

From memory it only takes about 48hrs for them to hatch. hopefully they will feed off the parents after they have used up all the egg sack (around 5 days)
If not find yourself some liquid fry food and try and supplement with that. Do 10% water changes everyday or two.
Oh and the good old stocking ova the intake hose to stop any straglers getting sucked up!

I wish you all the best.! :)

maybe about the other discus. I never seen to much bullying from them tho.... and the one that died was small but it was completely unexpected. makes more sense...
my heater is at 30.8 already.. I will look for the methylene blue....
Ive read place they will eat the first few spawns anyways.. to learn to be good parents..
and learn to protect the eggs. This is there very first spawn. and it seems to me since i went to bed and woke up some of the eggs have been eaten. there arent as many.
we will see and pictures will be here soon :D:D:D:D

Ok i got some pictures. although they are bad. i still wanted to show the pair... and the eggs.. which is even less now.. They are snack happy. :D
they are still learning and it gives me time to set up a breeding tank and what not.. to atleast try getting fry and raising them....

Attachments

• df_128.jpg
    df_128.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 44
  • dfe_582.jpg
    dfe_582.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 61
if you want to try it yourself, remove the filter tube with the eggs and put it into another small tank with the water from the parent tank. do a 50% water change a day using 75% of the parent water and 25%Fresh dechlor water. all you will need is a heater and an airstone for water flow. u will have to feed @ least 5 times a day with fry food and freshly hached brine shrimp. you can do this yourself quite easily using a siringe.
Very nice looking parents.
Oh and your sources are right about them eating the first few drops. they need to learn how to do it right.

Very exciting for you. You must be doing something right.

The eggs were all eaten within 24 hours.. which is expected as it is there first spawn.
They are working harder and more together this time. i expect eggs anytime now.
i will watch the pair closely and remove eggs and place them in my empty 10g to try doing it on my own. or give them a better chance to hatch this time.
I got them a 20g breeding tank that is being cycled now. Just to give them a better chance. To much fighting and she keeps getting spooked and knocked out. 2 times after the eggs were layed or from other discus fighting with her. I suspect they will eat this spawn too as they are learning still. So at the first sight of them eating i will remove them and see how it goes..
i will get pictures and keep updated with the next spawn.
I also have noticed her fighting back shes getting more protective compared to before. Which i take as a good sign.
Wish me luck and there will be more updates as i try this...

Providing the pair their own breeding tank is the right way to go. I also give my pairs several attempts at raising the spawn before seperating them. The smaller the hatch, the greater the likelihood they will eat the eggs or fry.

One thing I've noticed is that the females are usually the more aggressive of the pair. As such, they become the egg and fry eaters. I've had success by removing the females shortly after spawning and allowing the males to raise the brood on their own. This works well with small spawns and is preferable to trying raise them without any parents.

Back
Top Bottom