I need help with a guppy outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrysAnn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought guppes knowing they breed like crazy. My female guppy died today but I still have a good 50 fry in my aquarium. (My older fry which are around 2 months old are Endler/Fan tail hybrids and I have people lining up to buy them). It's my current fry outbreak ( 1 batch born a few days and the other 3 weeks ago) which could be any type of fry that I am having troubles with.

I am looking for something to munch on the fry but leave the other fish alone. My current stock is:
Albino Bushy Nose Plecostomus
Bushy Nose Plecostamus
Black Skirt Tetra
Glo Tetra
Red Eye Tetra
Kissing Fish
Glo-Fish
Red Flame Endler
X ray tetra
Kuhli Loach
Golden Dojo Loach
Cave Dweller
Upside Down Catfish
Ghost Shrimp
Betta Male
Platties
Ramshorn snails x100000 lol

Please let me know if there is anything I could add that could help munch down on JUST the fry population. :p Apparently my Kissing fish is a vegetarian. :p

Also, I have already checked and the only "feed stores" I have in the area are just for farm animals and they aren't interested in my fry.

Any help would be great! I was thinking another kissing fish or maybe a Female Betta? I have no idea.

I bought guppes knowing they breed like crazy. My female guppy died today but I still have a good 50 fry in my aquarium. (My older fry which are around 2 months old are Endler/Fan tail hybrids and I have people lining up to buy them). It's my current fry outbreak ( 1 batch born a few days and the other 3 weeks ago) which could be any type of fry that I am having troubles with.

I am looking for something to munch on the fry but leave the other fish alone. My current stock is:
Albino Bushy Nose Plecostomus
Bushy Nose Plecostamus
Black Skirt Tetra
Glo Tetra
Red Eye Tetra
Kissing Fish
Glo-Fish
Red Flame Endler
X ray tetra
Kuhli Loach
Golden Dojo Loach
Cave Dweller
Upside Down Catfish
Ghost Shrimp
Betta Male
Platties
Ramshorn snails x100000 lol

Please let me know if there is anything I could add that could help munch down on JUST the fry population. :p Apparently my Kissing fish is a vegetarian. :p

Also, I have already checked and the only "feed stores" I have in the area are just for farm animals and they aren't interested in my fry.

Any help would be great! I was thinking another kissing fish or maybe a Female Betta? I have no idea.

How large is your tank? And how many of the fish that you listed do you have of each?
Depending on the tank size u could do an angelfish or a gourami?

I was told Angel Fish are fin nippers. I want to keep my Betta and current guppies safe, I just want the fry to be eaten.
I have around 3 of each of the tetras and Glo Fish and 4 Plattys (all are babies though).
Everything else is 1. (Ghost shrimp are just feeders for the Dojo though, so who knows how many I have of those)

My Kissing fish is a Gourami. I only have one of those. My other disappeared.

My aquarium is 100 gallons.

I was told Angel Fish are fin nippers. I want to keep my Betta and current guppies safe, I just want the fry to be eaten.
I have around 3 of each of the tetras and Glo Fish and 4 Plattys (all are babies though).
Everything else is 1. (Ghost shrimp are just feeders for the Dojo though, so who knows how many I have of those)

My Kissing fish is a Gourami. I only have one of those. My other disappeared.

My aquarium is 100 gallons.

As for the angelfish....no...not always true! I found they are mostly only aggressive when breeding. So if you only had 1 then it wouldn't be a problem! Also it'd make a verrrry nice centerpiece fish!!!!

At this point I am willing to try anything. And if worse comes to worse with him chomping on my Betta or bigger guppies, I can put him in my 10 gallon. :)

Thank you for the advice. I will be heading out to WalMart to buy one today. (I know the worst place to buy fish, but it's the only place that sells fish in my valley and traveling over the pass in the winter isn't an option)

go with a angel around quarter to half dollar size. anything over that could possibly eat your smaller adult guppies. my largest angel eats neon tetras if they fit in her mouth.

I bought an angel. It's really tiny though. Just a baby. It's around the size of a nickel. It's the biggest they had.

I just don't want it to eat my endler and I will be happy. :p I am thinking of just moving all of my female fish into a seperate aquarium from the males. (though some are probably pregnant already)

I will keep you updated on my population. Maybe my dojo or Kissing fish will decide to chomp on a few.

I bought an angel. It's really tiny though. Just a baby. It's around the size of a nickel. It's the biggest they had.

I just don't want it to eat my endler and I will be happy. :p I am thinking of just moving all of my female fish into a seperate aquarium from the males. (though some are probably pregnant already)

I will keep you updated on my population. Maybe my dojo or Kissing fish will decide to chomp on a few.

Just keep in mind most livebearers can store sperm for 6 months, so even if you separate them you will probably be dealing with fry still.

Yeah I am hoping that because all of my females are young, they might now have much sperm stored up. They are just 2 months old (born in October). So they are all moved over. It's all a guessing game from here on out

Trying to get a pair of bettas to spawn the female is showing all the signs white spot, head bowing and lat lines. The male has not built a nest. I plan on releasing the female sun. Morning. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121213_190135.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121213_190135.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 73
Yeah I am hoping that because all of my females are young, they might now have much sperm stored up. They are just 2 months old (born in October). So they are all moved over. It's all a guessing game from here on out

@ only 2 months old its usually impossible to tell if a young gup is male or female, i have 5 that are about 6 weeks old, and 7 that are about 7-10 days old, and all look like females... they dont show the sexual characteristics generally til they are 4 months ish old... i had a small angel in with my female gups, and she loves to snack on fry! i had my males and females seperated for a while cause im trying to get it so that all my females drop around the same time, so i got them all dropped out, meaning they had no sperm stored or anything, and added the males back. good luck with the baby problem, and enjoy ur angel, i love mine!

Maybe mine were easier to sex because they are endler/fantail hybrids? They were born on the 17th of October and I added a pic of what they look like now.

Even my two-three week old babies are starting to get colours in their tails. They are developing fast I guess? I know the exact dates they were born because I about checking the aquariums for new fry (and the first set were in a seperate breeding tank to begin with)

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/18188_459562990746001_2031101762_n.jpg

That is a link of a picture of my fry. I tried uploading a pic but it didn't work.

One thing to keep in mind is that when trying to do a "natural" population reduction by means of other fish, the other fish won't know to ONLY eat the fish you want to get rid of. Murphy's law goes that the fish you want to save are the fish you lose first. It's happened more often than it doesn't. ;) The best way to do population control is by separating the males from the females. That's the only guaranteed way of controling your numbers. With Guppies, it's almost mandatory. lol
Hope this helps...

I moved all of my females (there is only around 8 of them) into my 10 gallon aquarium so I am hoping that will help. The angelfish I bought is pretty tiny so it really isn't doing much. :p

Back
Top Bottom