I opened my Fluval and what did I spy?............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
A single, solitary Platy fry!

A little present in honor of the FW Breeding Forum!

Little bugger got sucked up in the filter. I have no idea how long its been in there. I haven't seen any other fry in weeks, and the pregnant female I have been watching has yet to drop fry, or so I thought! Makes me think that she is not dropping all her fry at once, or this little bugger is from the last hatch that I presumed lost (only saw two of them, lost track of them in a community tank, presumed eaten)

From what I read, Platies drop them all at once? therefore, this must be a lone survivor from the last hatch?

So, I can't just toss out my very first captured fry. I rush QT2 into production, and now I have an official, baptised, functioning breeding tank! :eek:

Well, congrats on the new arrival!!!
I had a similar experience except it was baby crayfish I found whilst cleaning my husband's filter (scared the beejeezees out of me!!).

I now have the worlds most under stocked tank - 10 gallons per one eighth inch of fish :roll:

Its kind of silly, all this work for one fry, but its my first and I am determined to grow it out!

This happened to me a few weeks ago with Sunset mollies in my community tank, although I didn't find them in the filter. I was checking out my plants and looking at the sand to see how the roots were doing, and looked into some grass. There I saw a big (relative to the body it was attached too) black eyeball staring at me. "Holy <BLEEP>!" I exclaimed.

My tank is planted fairly heavily, we managed to find and save 9 of the little boogers. I'm determined to see them to adulthood as well. Buying fish from the store is one thing, but fish that YOU raised from babies!??!! That's a whole new thing. My daughter is so excited that she looks for fry every day now.

RIP DIF
Thats rest in peace, found Dead In Filter this morning. I had wathced it swim all over the corner filter for two days without getting sucked in. I think it died and floated over to get sucked in post mortem, but perhaps a corner filter without an airstone for suction might be a better idea for fry.

The QT didn't stay empty for long, a new angel ffrom the display tank has been rather aggressive. He gets a day or two in the QT to think things over before going back to the display tank. Yes, a whole weekend in the "coola" for the troublemaker.

To curb agressiveness, sometimes I feed live foods. The agressive fish all of a sudden has something else to think of. Besides Angels love live wriggling food!

Back
Top Bottom