Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2006, 09:52 PM   #1

I think I have a couple of pregnant fish?

Ok so last week you guys help me with pool filter sand and I love it!! This week I have an extremely fat black molly. I know they are easy to bread in aquariums.

So this is new to me. I have two black mollies. If ones pregnant what do I do? as far as equipment. I don't want anybody to kill them, I love my fish.

I also have a very fat tiger barb. Their pigs but who knows. I know they lay eggs right? Basically everybody I need a quick baby lesson. Can you help? Maybe nobody is having anything but I want to be prepared either way.

Oh ya and nobody has answered my question about cleaning the sand. Do I just hold the hose above the gunk without sucking up sand?

Thanks Everybody
Old 06-13-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
If you want to save the fry you will need to seperate her either with a divider or a breeder box. The tiger barb is probably just eating a lot. You might want to feed a few chopped up peas to keep it from getting constipated.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #3

Ok, I knew the Barb was probably overeating. No matter how much I try not to overfeed one always eats more. It is really hard when they follow me around the room looking at you ya know?

What do you mean seperate her--the molly. How can I determine that she is indeed pregnant. Should I put her in a qt. I always check my tank everyday for eggs becasue I want to have my Tiger's have little ones so bad but I nothing about bredding.

What do you think? I only bought the second Molly like 2 weeks ago. Can this happen this fast ?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes it could happen that fast. For that matter they can store sperm and she may have been pregnant when you got her. You will see a dark gravid spot if she is pregnant and when she gets close she will get almost square. If you have a QT tank that would be a perfect place to move her when she is ready. Just remember you will need to take her back out when she delivers or she will eat the fry as well.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:48 PM   #5

The new one is no the one. I have has the other one for at least three months. What do you mean by "dark gravid spot"
Old 06-13-2006, 10:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is the eyes of the fry inside the mom. It makes a dark spot you can see. You do have a male and a female? The old one if she was impregnated my the new fish would probably have atleast two more weeks to go.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Squirt0170 Send a message via Yahoo to Squirt0170
I know at the petstores they have a "Birthing" tank that the fry can be seperated from the mother safely, there are small holes the fry can go into so the mother can't attact them....

I honestly have NO idea how you tell a fish is about to have a baby or if it's safe to just keep her in the birthing tank until the baby's are out if she's pregnant... That would be really cool though... Also I'm not sure how long the fry would be able to stay in the birthing tank so that's probably another thing you would want to ask someone at the store or maybe someone here would know.

Check out my Website
http://www.myspace.com/michellesphilosophy
Squirt0170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:12 PM   #8

Ya..I would rather someone here. The LFS's told me that I coould put a shovelnose catfish in a 20 Gl tank when I was 16 so I lost confidence. Can anybody else give me some info. on what do do or buy...what to watch for etc. Thanks Everybody. I can always count on you all
Old 06-13-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The qt tank is a perfect solution as far as were to move her. Just be sure you have a cycled filter ready. When she is ready and you have a couple of weeks if she is gravid, she will look almost square.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:07 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Moved to the breeding forum.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com