Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I think I have a gravid Angelfish

Hey there, any help and advice would be appreciated. So my mom and I got home earlier today to from and overnight visit to friends and when I went to feed our fish I noticed that our one Angelfish named Castiel is rather plump just behind the pectoral fins.

Cas is still eating, but isn't swimming around as much as usual, our other Angelfish named Atticus is sticking rather close to Cas and will charge at any other fish that gets too close. They seem to be hanging around the filter quite a lot. It looks like we might have to rename Castiel to Cassidy.

Again any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

This sounds like you have a pair going. If your intention is to keep the fry, I suggest removing either the pair or the other fish from the tank. Spawns rarely survive in a community tank situation.
The filter tube is usually what Angels pick out to spawn on because they are long and upright but they are not really the best thing to have them spawn on for survival as the waterflow near them tends to wash away the sperm prematurely. Slate tiles or other items such as clay flower pots or PVC pipe are better for easier removal of the spawn to a hatching tank. Angelfish, especially new pairs, often are not the best parents and artificially raising the fry yields better results.

There is a thread in this breeding forum titled " Wigglers at last!!!!" which was an ongoing discussion about breeding and raising Angels by both professional and hobbyist Angelfish breeders. It would do you good to read through it as just about everything you need to know was discussed on that thread.

Hope this helps.

Tags
angel, angelfish, fish, gravid

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com