Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think my cories have eggs, now what?

I got 2 albino cories a week ago, and they are currently in my 2.5 gal quarrantine tank. Yesterday, I noticed some little white eggs on the plastic plant I have in there. The cories will be moved to my big tank next week, but how do I care for the eggs and babies? The tank is unheated and has a small disposable filter in it.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=breeding+corys

Well, it's a good thing the parents are moving anyway, that will make it easier to care for the young. You want to stick with a gentle filter, preferably an air lift instead of a pump. Heat would be good too, unless you keep your house warm enough to not need it.

Depending on tank conditions, sometimes the eggs will just die and turn fungusy. Perform frequent water changes to keep the water clean as possible. If you're lucky enough for them to survive until hatching, watch for the time that they've finished digesting thier yolk sack, then feed them liquid fry food, protien powder, or powdered flake food.

Good luck, I suggest you click on the link above and do alot of reading!

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, I believe my filter is an air lift one. It's just a small disposable filter connected to an air pump. My house is not warm enough, especially at night. I've been leaving the tank light on at night so it doesn't get as warm, but a heater would definitely be better. Do they make heaters small enough for a 2.5 gal tank?

Also, from what I've read it looks like I should remove any fungusy eggs, but what do they look like? I have one egg that is whiter than the rest and seems fuzzy. Is that fungus, and should I remove it? The kids and I are rather excited about the eggs, so it will be fun if everything works out and we can raise some babies!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

White and fuzzy is definately a dead egg. If you can remove it without touching the others, that might help. I've heard one report about some anti-fungal products being helpful at this stage. I personally would be a bit wary about overdosing the little guys.

They do make really small heaters, but you might need to mail order it. Alternatively, you could pick up a bare 10 gallon and move the plastic plant into it. If the babies make it, you could use the extra space.

Bare ten gallon tank: $10
Small heater: $15
Desk lamp - already have?
air lift filter - already have.

If the babies don't make it, keep your eyes open for another clutch of eggs and try again. Many people don't succeed on thier first try at breeding fish, but most make progress if they keep trying.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've got a 25 Watt Visitherm Stealth heater in my 2.5 Gallon tank. Works like a charm. You can get them through www.drsfostersmith.com, www.thatpetplace.com, and www.bigals.com.

Good luck with the eggs!
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've been wanting a bigger qt tank for a while, so this is a good excuse to get one! I went out and got a bare 10 gal and a heater for it, so now I just need to figure out where to put it. Most of the eggs are actually on the side of the tank next to the plant, so I think I will wait until they hatch and then transfer everything to the 10 gal. Even though we weren't trying to breed this time, I've been learning a lot about it and I think if these little guys don't live, I will try to get my cories to spawn again. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
Cool! Keep us posted! Ohhh...a picture journal would be fun too...hint hint!
29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, I got up this morning and the eggs had disappeared, and no sign of fry anywhere. I knew I should have removed the parents yesterday, but I was gone most of the day and was rather tired when I got back so I didn't. Then I noticed some fuzzy white on the bottom of the filter, so I looked closer and it was a small group of fungused eggs. However, there is also a group of 6 good eggs close by, so they must have spawned again last night! Anyway, I did remove the parents today, so hopefully these eggs will do better.

Tags
cories, egg, eggs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com