I think my fiddler crab had babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtelljohann

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a male and female fiddler crab pair that I think mated and produced offspring. These are in a 10 gallon specialty ramshorn and mystery snail breeding tank. About a week ago I noticed little 'squiggles' floating in the water and some actually worming their way on the glass. Today I put in some homemade snail food cubes and all heck happened. I started to see little aphid looking things coming up out of the gravel. They are teeny-tiny and move and look like an underwater spider mite. I know everyone says that fiddlers don't breed in regular tanks, but what else could these be?! I have noticed the squiggles before with another set of crabs and I'm assuming they ended up in the filter. I have NOT seen these little spidery critters. I can take a picture of the squiggles if that helps, but I don't know if I can focus good enough to get the mites. Any help will be appreciated, thank you!

I would remove the mother and father pair, and lower the filter to the lowest setting or remove it. Feed micro food, and wait. Do your fiddlers have a method of getting to the surface?

Keep us posted, I dont have any experience with pet crabs, but would love to see pictures once there big enough :) GL

They DO breed, the babies just don't survive. Not without a special set up with proper currents, phytoplankton and higher salinity levels.

Uuuhhhhhh are they salt or fresh? I saw them in a LFS once and wanted to get them but then they were sold out. couldn't find anymore. :/

Are you keeping them in brackish water? Fidders are BW crabs.

This guy hasn't gotten back on to respond to questions, so I assume he isn't coming back

Back
Top Bottom