I think my flagfish are spawning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tong

Aquarium Advice Activist
The male flagfish has been acting odd lately and until recently it never occured to me that maybe my flagfish are spawning. I'm not a breeder by any means.

Lately he's been guarding a 2" x 2" area of java moss. He's chasing everyone away from it, even the female flagfish. When no one is around, he does kind of a shaky swim. I think it may to pass water and thus oxygen over the eggs.

Anyone have experience breeding flagfish? Are they spawning? And if so, how do I take care of the fry when they emerge? Thanks.

Edit: It just occurred to me that this might better go in the breeding forum. A moderator can freely move this there.

i thought my chomides were doing the same thing, the female starts building the nest, but wont let the male near her anymore...

im not surprised if your fish will do this on and off, depending on the seasons

Sounds about right. My American Flag Fish spawn relentlessly. I have them in a community tank so the eggs are eaten quickly. I would recommend moving them eggs to large container or 5 gallon tank with some java moss and an airstone. If your tank is densly planted some will make it on their own.

(moved to breeding.)

Good luck, Tong!

Woot! They are in a community tank but I redefine densly planted...hehe...so hopefully a few of them will make it. The whole thing was kind of a surprise to me because my water conditions don't match the breeding conditions for any of my fish, especially the flagfish. Fish do what fish do I guess. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom