Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I think my Molly is pregnant.

Okay, I need help. So I have a 20 gallon tank with a molly, and some tiger barbs (yes I know its not a good idea to put them together) but over the past few days, the molly's stomach has increased in size over the normal rate. I don't know if tiger barbs and mollies can cross breed or not, so I need help. She's a very aggressive female so I have no idea.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tiger barbs cannot breed with mollies. Mollies, like other live-bearers, can store sperm for a very long time, meaning that if the molly was ever with a male molly at any point then she could very well still have sperm stored to fertilize her eggs. She probably is pregnant, yes.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

if the molly is pregnant and you would like to keep the babies, get a breeder box. they hang on the side and can house the babies so they don't get eaten. if you don't want them, just leave her where she is, they'll get gobbled up pretty quick.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The thing is, that the only time she was with another molly was in the pet store...
Old 04-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yep, that would do it!

Pretty much the only way to have live-bearers without getting babies is to keep only males. Even single females are almost always already pregnant. As said, if you want to keep the babies you'll have to save them in a breeder box. Otherwise you can leave them and they'll be eaten.

Tags
molly, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com