I`ve found platy fry in my community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nayuls39

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, newbie here
About half an hour ago I saw a baby platy swimming at the bottom. I didn`t realise I had any females because I wasn`t sure how you tell male and female apart.
Anyway I was wondering if the fry will survive, I don`t think I have enough hiding places. I have a urn pot and a log and 2 plants, my tank is a square 5 gallon. :confused:

Well, there's never a way to be sure, but babies could possibly survive. They're good at hiding and can easily stay hidden for days at a time until they are large enough to not be eaten.

It's pretty easy to tell the male from female. The anal fin of the male is called a gonopodium looks clamped, flat and elongated and the females is fan shaped. See picture.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400297730.756594.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400297730.756594.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 119
I have 3 baby platys again and they are about 1cm, the rest of the fish don`t seem to be bothering them. The babies are just foraging around. Hope they do survive though , will be nice to see them grow up :)

Congratulations!

Sent from my N800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 3 cardinal tetra and 3 black tetra and 2 platy in the tank. I still have 3 babies this morning..yay!

The only guys you'd have to worry about would be the Platys actually, they're the only ones who tend to go that close to the bottom of the tank. But they should be fine. I had probably 40 platy babies a while back that survived with a Betta and some Angelfish in the tank. They're good hiders.

So I now have 5 platy fry, 2 are about 2 and half centimetres and the other 3 are a bit smaller. :)
The rest of my tank contains mum and dad platy, 1 cardinal tetra and 3 black tetra, oh and a dwarf catfish.
My question is why is the male chasing the female and making her hide in a rock ornament...poor thing!

The female definitely doesn't want to know, think she is getting peed off with it...lol. That's why she is hiding :)

Back
Top Bottom