i want my gourami to buld a bubble nest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi i would like to know how to encourage my male gourami to build a nest i have a 180litre tank and an empty 10 litre tank. Please help for starters i will be buying a female gourami i think have two males, what next? How do i get it to buid the bb nest and can i use the 10 litre tank.

Thanks.

I'm currently in the process of developing a gourami tank, here are my suggestions:

Mine is a 19/20gal tank. I put a covering of medium/average sized gravel across the bottom. Gravel does not need to be deep, as any wayward eggs will get lost in the layers.

I found an ebay supplier selling 20 plants for £4 and bought that (search for it). At this point I filled half of the tank with water from my 55gal, the rest with water after it was decarbonated. I currently have it running as I am waiting for the gourami's to be ordered in. I'm using only a sponge filter and I have floating Amazon Frogbit.

When you're buying your fish, put the female gourami in the breeding tank first for anything from an hour to a week. Different sources will say different things. You need this so that the tank is 'her' territory and thus the male has to abide by this when he is introduced (gourami's can be agressive).

Before you add the male make sure you have fed the fish live/meaty foods for a week or more before hand to get them 'in the mood'. Once you add the male let him settle in and turn up the heat from about 25'c to 28'c. Coinciding with the higher temperatures, make sure you lower the depth of the water to no more than 7/8 inches, preferably six. The eggs are very fragile and excess water pressure can squash the eggs or kill the fry inside.

The male will build a bubble nest anyway in most tanks, you just won't notice it because the water needs to be very still. This is important. Make sure you have a small plastic clamp to put on the sponge filter's air-way cable, as any excessive movement in the water will cause the delicate nest to disappate.

When breeding is over (try to watch this, it's pretty elegant and unique) then remove the female, as the male will begin to guard the nest and may kill or injure her. Once the babies are born, the male will look after them. Once the fry begin to overwhelm him, IE they're leaving the nest quicker than he can collect them in his mouth and return them, take him out too.

Important:

- Plants, plants, plants! Especially floating ones.
- Condition fish with good food
- Female in first, then add male ~1 day later
- Still water conditions for the nest
- Increase temp / lower water level
- Remove female after breeding as soon as possible.

OH and remember to provide shelter for your female, as I say, gourami's can be aggresive. A plant pot on its side and various other caves would be suitable.

Keep us updated! I will once my G's actually arrive. Happy breeding!

Back
Top Bottom