Ideal Balloon Molly breeding conditions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am trying to get mine to breed as well. I have one male and 3 females, but I think the male might be sterile.

You will probably need a good ratio of 2 to 3 females per male as they can sometimes get very aggressive.

I keep my water at about 80degrees. Obviously they need good water conditions. Also it's better to have a lot of places for the fry to hide once born because my mollies like to chase and eat their babies. (2 of the females were bought gavid).

Other than that, I'm not sure as I'm not having much luck so far, but that's what I've found from my reading.

As a side note I have read that some people think that balloon mollies have higher birth mortality rates because of all the inbreeding to get the balloon look.

Any other advice would be apprecaited.

To breed Mollies, guppies, platies (livebearers in general)

1. Place in container of water
2. wait for fry

Big Ben,

Nope they don't need to both be balloon mollies in order to breed. My male balloon molly seems to really like my regular silver molly female.

I've just recently bought some java moss which will grow like crazy in some tanks and give fry a great place to hide. I only keep this in my birthing tank though.

Java moss? alrite sounds good..i don't have any real plants in my tank yet and i think its still cycling. my ammonia levels are starting to go down so i gues its just the nitite left. don't have a test kit for that one though.

java moss can be hard to find sometimes, but seems to be one of the most saught after hardly plants. I called 6 stores in my area and found one with some in stock the others said they can't keep it in stock long enough. It grows like a weed though so be prepared to have it everywhere in your tank. But it's a great place for your fry to hide.

If your tank hasn't cycled you have to be very careful and make water changes almost daily. Any ammonia, nitrite is dealy for fish. High levels of nitrate is also very bad. Java moss should help in the cycling stages a bit.

I found a test kit that tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate high and low PH. All together is was $29. (CAD) Before I bought that kit I spent way more buying them all individually. During the cycling stage you should test your water at least every other day if not daily. You have to make sure there is NO ammonia or nitrite in your tank otherwise your fish will get sick and or die. I lost many fish before I found out about cycling and biological filtration.

yeah I have an ammonia kit but not one for the nitrite..i have beem changing 20% of the water every day or 2nd day though. I can't seem to find a nitrite kit anywhere that aren't sold out.

Back
Top Bottom