I'm a Dad!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

@rtemis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Early this afternoon, I noticed something peculiar coming out of my guppie's rear and it didn't look like the usual poop. I wondered if she maybe had her babies and perhaps that was her embryotic(sp)sack. I scanned the entire aquairum... Lo and behold I saw three little fry swimming at the top of the aquarium. I threw in some plastic plants I let float so that have a hidding place from the rest of the community.

I have four neons, two endlers livebearers, two guppies and one cory cat. Should I be concerned about the fry being a morsel and eaten alive?

I have three frys, is this the average number of births?

@rt

Actually, you are more like a grandpa, considering you didn't father those fry! :D Hehe. Congrats on the babies! When your fish have babies it sure makes you feel old huh. When I told my parents I was a grandma (Platies had fry) they laughed...haha.

Thanks :wave: for moving my post to the right forum. I had no clue. I just was excited to have new fish fry. In total, I've found 7 alive but lost one which was stuck in the filter fiber. I've put the 7 fry in a breeder net box and they're doing fine.

They are eating dried brine shrimp and the regular flake food which I crush to tiny pieces. Is there a specialized food for guppy fry?

Sheez, as they get bigger I may need to get another aquariium. Hmm, Cool! My wife is going to kill me! :uzi:

Congrats. It is likely your guppy will have more fry yet. They can have over 30 in a birth. Your fish will not be eaten by your current stocking. What you are feeding them is great.

30 or more... OMG! So they don't come out all at once? I'm up to 8...how long does it take to birth all?

Last edited:
Along with the crushed flakes you could alternate with some crushed pellets (whatever you have available). Feed them several times a day. I have been told that guppy fry have short digestion systems, requiring food more often. :)

I am not sure how long it takes to birth all the fry.

Congrats. It is likely your guppy will have more fry yet. They can have over 30 in a birth. Your fish will not be eaten by your current stocking. What you are feeding them is great.

Guppies can have 200+ fry in a single drop. I average about 70 - 140 depending on strain. Any flake food crushed up is good enough but live brine shrimp will really make them grow.

Congrats....I started with guppies and ended up with a house full of tanks with different guppies breeding like mad. Eventually I had to say enough was enough and dropped down to 3 tanks 2 of which are now SW.

I just had some fry this week too I didnt know I brought home a momma to be from the LFS I still dont know which one was knocked up but I was very shocked and in a tizzy about what to do. But Gratz I think we may be in the same boat though i didnt think about fry when i considered my tank size and fish choices. Lucky for me it seems all of my mollies are female so after some shocks I think I will be ok. Though I may not be able to add fish as I will be close to stocked if all 6 or so fry live to be full adults..... Wait if some are male i may have an issue again????
Good luck

well that would seem a good answer but I dont have free range and short of converting the bed to a cushion topped tank have no room (can only barly move around edges of bed now and still open dressor drawers. had to move my book shelves up and mount them higher on wall so my tank could fit underneath without bumpingmy head. lol so iam just going to hope i have female fry otherwise I will donate them to the new tank being set up at my sons after school program. Right now they have 3 platties so if i give them any male mollies we would be good and nobody is overstocked right?

Plastic food containers (the kind that mayonaise, cookies, dog food come in) 1g or larger make great temporary housings for fry or a gew livebearer adults. All that is needed is an airstone. Change the water 1x a week (100%) and don't bother about the cycle. Works great and can be moved on a moment's notice.

nyrmel you might try asking the LFS to take them mine takes them and gives me store credit for them.

Do You think the LFS will take the really small fry? I've given away three. I've got 7 left and they are still very small.

My local fish store will take them really small but will not buy them untill they are about a inch long

Back
Top Bottom