I'M GONNA HAVE BABIE CRABS!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
My little male crab [ the one that killed my dwarf frog ] and one of the female crabs are embracing right now and mating!

OMFG! Their doing it right here infront of me! i was wondering why the little male was riding around ontop of the female for such a long time..

OMFG! Crab babies!

What do I do to prepare for it? How long after mating does the female create eggs and they hatch? how should I prepare my tank?

So many questions! my heart is racing! OMFG!!!

I cannot help you at all, for I know nothing about crab babies, but I do congratulate you! That is amazing!!!! Please, take pics of every step so we can see, and good luck!

OH! How cool! Little baby crabs! I wish I could help you, William. But as you are aware, I'm new to this whole thing. I will be elated to share this exciting experience with you through your posts though! Thanks for sharing!

I'm sure someone with experience with these little guys will help you out. :)

I've never had crabs mate before.. This is so fricken cool!

The male [ which is half hte siez of the female at the moment ] was just riding on top of the female for about 45 minutes while the female walked around and foraged algae off a new peice of driftwood I recently got.

Then the next thing I knew they had their backs to me, their underbelly flaps were open and you could tell they were obviously in some kind of embrace.

God this is so awesome! :D

Sorry to say this william, but fiddler crabs "mate" in the home aquarium but don't actually breed. The female can be seen with eggs, but they never hatch. That's why they aren't usually very abudant in the hobby. They also need mud burrows to house the young.

Oh man, I was getting so excited and then was so bummed to see the last couple of posts. Hey William, at least you got to see them mate! How cool is that?! I didn't ever even think of how crabs would mate.

cdawson, why don't the eggs ever hatch? Is it a temperature issue, or they just can't hatch in an aquarium?

I'll wait and see if they hatch, No offence to cd but some of the previous advice I've gotten on my crabs proved to be not to true, in relation to my particular crabs atleast.

don't want to rain on your parade and i hope that this is wrong and make sucre you post if it is but i agree with cdawson. i have 4 crabs and a very muddy tank with burrows all over the place lately but have never seen them mate at all. you one uped me there man good job but all that i have been reading online has told me that even if they do mate the babie will not live. it has to do with the tides and salt and that is the most info i ahve gotten so far on it. nobody i have found has a reson for it, all say that it doesn't work. if you get it to work you HAVE to tell me how i would love to do

prove me wrong man :)
-Jim

DUDE! what kind of mud do you use?! I want that mud for my mudskipper tank. The fiddlers dig a burrow in the mud and deposit the eggs deep into their burrow. If the female is carrying them around, it's because she doesn't know what else to do with them and they'll eventually just go bad and get eaten.
Ostrichkiller: I'm willing to bet yours have bred, but seeing as they actually burrow in the mud you wouldn't have seen the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom