I'm New to this, and my Platy Fish is pregnant.... I think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChristineO

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397086934.760108.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397086950.177273.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397086962.626065.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397086975.458468.jpg

Here's my Platy, I think she is pregnant. However, I have no clue how far along she is, if there are any special things I should be doing to keep her happy and not stressed. If someone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated :)

Also, I've seen on some sites that you should in more live plants for the fry to have a place to hide.... Um I am not sure how valid this is... If someone could help me that'd be great. :)

Yes, she looks pregnant. Give her one more week, then she looks like she will drop. If you keep the fry with your adult fish, they will defiantly try to eat the fry, and that's why people recommend live plants for them to hide in. They also just like it if they're in their own tank. It's not something that you have to have

Live plants are good, they provide hiding spots and starter food for the little ones. Also, gravel substrate can help them survive as well. When they are first born, they can hide in between the gravel and find any food that hasn't been removed since your last vacuuming.

Good luck and have fun!

If I keep them in a separate tank....do I have to have a filter for it? For the fry I mean.... Cause I've seen videos where they keep them in like buckets an just do frequent water changes......
Does anyone know how many fry they'll drop for their first time? Or is it different every time....what colour are they gonna be?

Hello Christine...

Floating plants, like Hornwort, are very good for livebearing fish. Your Platy would appreciate pure water, so change half every week or two. Livebearers also prefer a little aquarium salt added to their water. When you do a water change, add a teaspoon or so to every 5 gallons of the new, treated tap water. Salt is very good for the immune system and calms your female during a very stressful time.

B

Ummm I have a wall in my tank.... So is it okay to have salt in when my other fish are in there?

Salt is fine as long as you follow the directions or unless you have fish or friends that are not salt compatible. Corry fish and maybe snails come to mind.

Could you raise them in 5 gallon buckets? Yep, but it will make it a bit more difficult to spot some problems should they occur. With buckets you only get a top down view unless your pulling them out to check them. If you have to use something else on the cheap I would recommend the clear Rubbermaid totes and a cheap sponge filter.

I don't know what your market is like but in Kentucky tanks hold value really really well.

Used tanks, with a good cleaning, will sell for just under retail value here unless there are major scratches or trim damage.

The best thing to do is check your local Craigslist ads and pickup one under retail. Then when your done set your asking price at the retail cost and allow the buyer to talk you down on the price. This way is a win win for both you and the fish.

Just a thought.

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd do that, but I haven't had much any luck with craigslist or kijiji in this area. They all just screw you around -.- could I put them in like a beta bowl?

and this salt is aquarium salt not table salt since table salt has additives that are harmful to your fish. and you could also keep them in a bunch of breeders pin like 2 or 3 depending on how many you have and separate them by size. once they get to where you can really see their patters about a month you can reintroduce them into the main tank or sell them. check with your local lfs first to see if you can give or sell your fish fry to him/her.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399256278.038907.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399256288.513247.jpg
Hey all, so here's the momma Platy I'm unsure about. Is she still preggo or just well fed? She had one fry about 2 weeks ago... Maybe more that my shrimp got to...but I'm unsure. N I think she looks to be pregnant still . What y'all think?

still prego if she got stressed out it isn't uncommon for them to stop or at least that's what I have notice with my live bearers.

How long will it take for her to have the rest of the? Do you no roughly? It's already been 2 weeks and to my knowledge. I don't think there are anymore little fry in my tank... I could be wrong.. They're hard to see. The one fry that she had that's 2 weeks old is visible now :) he's cute

she may be done with that batch just wait it out another week and if nothing happens return her to main tank.

Back
Top Bottom