I'm pregnant....now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket2001

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, actually my Silver Lyretail Molly is pregnant.
Thanks to the crew here on AA I determined that she is defiantly expecting..I noticed a dark spot appear inside the end of her abdomen about 5 days ago... i then cross checked pictures off Google of pregnant livebearers and if definite. So how long do I have ...I read about 30 days is usual but is that from the appearance of the dark spot? I also plan on isolating her in a floating breeder enclosure. Then What?...how long do I keep the fry isolated? Should I add more hiding places? Any and all advice appreciated.

I believe that it is ok to leave them in the breeder tank until they are twice the size from when they were born or to the size that the other fish will not eat them. So basically to the size that they won't become food or look like food. I still have mt zebra fry in the other tank and I think by the end of this month I should be able to add them to the community. You can add a few more hiding places if you would like. It wont hurt anything.

These are the stats of the tank:
29 gal freshwater community
7 zebra danios
5 bloodfin tetras
1 blk lyretail molly
1 wht lyretail molly
1 sunset wag platy
1 giant danio
1 spotted pitcus catfish

Back
Top Bottom