Inbred fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
This may be a stupid question but can you inbred fish? Will it damage the outcome of fry? I'm just curious.

Ok thanks. I was just wondering lol, I'm not planning on doing it.

Yes but it is not recommended. More fry will have deformities and they will overall be weaker beacuse of the poor genetics. The only instance where it is "a good thing" is for some breeders who are breeding for specific colors and traits so they breed son to mother and father to daughter. NEVER brother to sister. And even then you should be experienced with breeding to know what you're doing. Just my 2 cents

This is what can happen with fish interbreeding in this case purely accidental with father and daughter

ForumRunner_20130113_004927.jpg
(not the greatest picture sorry)

She was born out of a drop of 12 and is the only one that lived. She has a severe bent spine as a result of this. Ethics tell me that she should have been euthanized as a fry but I just didn't have the heart to. I keep her separated from the males to prevent any further injury to her from pregnancy.

I purchased a small young guppy female and she developed a bent spine just like that one but it curves in instead if out. She seems happy and acts just like the others I thought it might have something to do with interbreeding now in pretty convinced that's why she's like that now.

Back
Top Bottom