Inbreeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depending how deep the gene pool is there is not usually trouble with this IMO.
Long term in breeding can cause issue with fry quality.

Both but you don't get to always choose. Sometimes you can promote a quality or try to remove a deformity. I line breed my rams and add new blood every year or so.
Recessive qualities may dis appear while others become dominant.
Also issues like deformity and being sterile occur after extended line breeding

I’m breeding angels, wanted to try and get a second pair going. Won’t be a for a while until the babies grow out and will be of breeding age. Wasn’t sure if I would try and source a second pair or raise these guys and wait for a pair to form. Thanks for the advice.

I’m breeding angels, wanted to try and get a second pair going. Won’t be a for a while until the babies grow out and will be of breeding age. Wasn’t sure if I would try and source a second pair or raise these guys and wait for a pair to form. Thanks for the advice.
The general rule for breeding brothers to sisters is that at approximately 5-7 generations in, new blood should be added to help maintain the lines from getting too deformed.
With Angelfish, due to the fact that they are so many generations away from wild stock and so many combinations and phynotypes within most fish, it's hard to say what you are going to get from a brother/sister pair. What you will get is a higher amount of offspring that contain all the genes of both parents.
Here is a link to an article from an Angelfish breeding company that explains inbreeding Inbreeding to Improve Fish Strains

Of the different breeding programs you can create, line breeding ( as Coralbandit explains) is one of the better ways to consistently create quality fish. That means breeding brothers to sisters and occasionally mixing fish lines together ( because the fish will have some common genes) to consistently improve the line. With line breeding, you can breed for certain traits or to remove certain traits. The how to do this is too long to go through in a single post. ;) But rest assured, breeding brother to sister is not usually a genetic disaster on the first generation. ( and if it is, mate the pair individually with other to see if those fish are worth continuing to breed. Sometimes they are not. :( )

There is an old thread here with info from both hobbyist and professional angelfish breeders that explains just about everything you need to now about keeping and breeding these fish. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/wigglers-at-last-237956.html

Hope this helps (y)

The general rule for breeding brothers to sisters is that at approximately 5-7 generations in, new blood should be added to help maintain the lines from getting too deformed.
With Angelfish, due to the fact that they are so many generations away from wild stock and so many combinations and phynotypes within most fish, it's hard to say what you are going to get from a brother/sister pair. What you will get is a higher amount of offspring that contain all the genes of both parents.
Here is a link to an article from an Angelfish breeding company that explains inbreeding Inbreeding to Improve Fish Strains

Of the different breeding programs you can create, line breeding ( as Coralbandit explains) is one of the better ways to consistently create quality fish. That means breeding brothers to sisters and occasionally mixing fish lines together ( because the fish will have some common genes) to consistently improve the line. With line breeding, you can breed for certain traits or to remove certain traits. The how to do this is too long to go through in a single post. ;) But rest assured, breeding brother to sister is not usually a genetic disaster on the first generation. ( and if it is, mate the pair individually with other to see if those fish are worth continuing to breed. Sometimes they are not. :( )

There is an old thread here with info from both hobbyist and professional angelfish breeders that explains just about everything you need to now about keeping and breeding these fish. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/wigglers-at-last-237956.html

Hope this helps (y)

Wow thanks [emoji4]

Back
Top Bottom