Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Is my balloon molly pregnant?

I need some help identifying whether or not my little gal (if its even a girl) is pregnant or just fat...

I purchased her(?) approximately 2 weeks ago and she seems really fat compared to others I've seen.
Due to her being a dalmatian I cant see any signs of a gravid spot and I don't know enough about what to look for in pregnant fish to know for sure.

I only ask because if she is pregnant I want to be prepared as the sword tail I bought turned out to be pregnant and I didn't realize until she had already had the babies. By that time my angelfish and gourami had already eaten half and terrorized the others so much that they didn't make it

Here's a photo of her please let me know what you guys think

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3379.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	280218

Old 11-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

first yes that's a female , females have a semi rounded lower fin as the male has a backwards L shape fin , it's hard to tell but most likely yes , you will find out soon enough

Old 11-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Is there anything I should look out for in the day(s) leading up to birth? I don't have anywhere in my tank for the fry to hide on the surface and I don't want to keep her locked up in the breeding cage for an overly long time unless I know she's about to pop.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My only real experience is with endlers and guppies which are both live-bearers as well. The only thing i noticed prior to birth really is them trying to avoid the other fish in the tank.

Depending on what other fish are in the tank with no cover the fry will not survive most likely.

i don't know if i can post video links but in this video greg jones posts a cheap alternative to plastic plants.

Tags
balloon, balloon molly, molly, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com