Is my betta pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TraceyB4602

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just bought a female betta fish about I would say not even a week ago to add to my male. I wasn't intending on breeding them but now my female betta is really chubby. I have never breed betta's so no idea what she is suppose to look like. I have breed guppies and the stomach is sorta looking like a pregnant belly.There is no bubble nest nor did I create an environment for the breeding to happen. They were chasing each other around but there is no fin nipping. My male had already had his fins attacked by another fish in my larger tank when I introduced him there so I put him in my 10 gallon instead. But as for the female she is fine.

They are both young fish and very active which I know is a good sign for breeding and my water temp is at about 79 which I know also encourages breeding. I really don't want to breed them I don't have room for 50-100 betta babies. But can anyone tell me if she looks prego?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Attachments

• image-2974637456.jpg
    image-2974637456.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 324
  • image-511622525.jpg
    image-511622525.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 265
She is full of eggs. If you want to I say get an oil chimney cover (those glass ones at that hardware store). Then put that in the males tank and inside of the oil chimney cover put the female in. Oh and get a small piece of bubble wrap for the male to make a bubble nest. If your concerned about the babies, you can buy those betta containers for like 50 of them for 12$ on aqua bid. Maybe a little more not sure. And not all of them will make it. So just feed the babies hikari fry food and it'll decrease the survival rate compared to if you used brine shrimp.

If you're not wanting to breed the bettas, no reason to go through the motions IMO.

Keeping a male and female together for any duration other than breeding is not a good idea IMO. The females can be just as rough as the males and more than likely one will end up badly damaged or dead.

severum mama said:
If you're not wanting to breed the bettas, no reason to go through the motions IMO.

Keeping a male and female together for any duration other than breeding is not a good idea IMO. The females can be just as rough as the males and more than likely one will end up badly damaged or dead.

+1 I've had a female kill a male before during breeding.

severum mama said:

Really I didn't know that they were aggressive to the other sex. That's why I bought a female. I'll have to watch them closer and see if any fighting goes on. They have been really good now it was just the first 2 days that they were chasing each other. If they get rough I'll have to remove one.

I'm not planning on breeding at all, no time for that right now. I guess there will be some extra food for everyone.

Thanks everyone, just wanted to know if she was, another thing I learned to chalk up on the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Even if he is just chasing her around a little, you should remove her. All this is doing is adding unnecessary stress to her.

Back
Top Bottom