is my black swordtail pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsamrlx17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a newb so bare with me if this is a silly question, but do swordtails breed with other types of swordstails? Because I do not have a male and female of the same kind yet today I noticed that the black ones belly is rounder and larger than normal... I have isolated it for the moment in a breeder in order to try to get a good picture but in the picture I can barely tell what I am seeing with my eyes... I do not want to keep her in the breeder for fear that it will stress her but if you guys recommend that I should I will.

ForumRunner_20120610_160652.jpg

Its actually a black mollie, and yes she is pregnant nd she most likily got pregnant by a male at the store, how long have you had her?

I agree she does look like a molly, but swordtails come in all colors. She does look early pregnant but i would let her out of the breeders box. If you got her recently she is probably pregnant

I want to say I got her about 6 weeks ago... and she does look like a molly but I'm pretty sure she is a swordtail... I took her out of the breeder, when will I know when she is about to give birth if in fact pregnant. And is it or is it not possible that they breed with different types of the same species? Thanks so much. :)

I dont know exactly what species can interbreed, i would google it, but if she is a swordtail youll find out when she has her babies. When he males mature they grow swords, but if they dont then they are mollys. But she does look like shes about a week away; do you have any males?

xsamrlx17 said:
I am a newb so bare with me if this is a silly question, but do swordtails breed with other types of swordstails? Because I do not have a male and female of the same kind yet today I noticed that the black ones belly is rounder and larger than normal... I have isolated it for the moment in a breeder in order to try to get a good picture but in the picture I can barely tell what I am seeing with my eyes... I do not want to keep her in the breeder for fear that it will stress her but if you guys recommend that I should I will.

The different kinds of swordtails are actually the same species, just different color variations. The female looks like she's still in the early stages of pregnancy. (I'm not quite certain if its a Molly or swordtail, but i know for certain that swordtails and mollys can't interbreed)

Back
Top Bottom