Is my Creamsicle Molly Pregnant???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amby2011

Aquarium Advice Newbie
img_1078168_0_b615ce1cdec7794e2a8ff5927c96a475.jpg
That is the best picture I could get of it. Petsmart totally lied if it is a girl lol

look for a gravid spot, sometimes its hard to see, but other times it stands out like a sore thumb. never, and i mean NEVER, trust petsmart! they are there to sell fish, and ime, generally dont know much about them. dont be upset if it is a female

Look at the rear most fin on the bottom of the fish (not the tail fin)
Does is fan down or is it kept rigid up by the body? That's how you sex most livebearers. Can you get us a better, closer picture?

Nearly all female livebearers are continuously "pregnant" if they have been anywhere near a male within the past few months. Like others have said you cannot trust most pet store employees (particularly at the big box stores) to know the difference between males and females. You need to educate yourself to know the difference. When buying fish I usually choose and ask for a specific fish, unless they are small schooling fish that all look the same anyway (ie tetras).

If the molly is indeed female, and "pregnant", there isn't anything special that you have to do for her, unless you want to keep and raise the fry. If you don't, then don't worry about it.

Alright guys I will try to get a better picture later and I do have a breeder box I know people don't recommend those but awhile ago my guppy gave birth and it was unexpected but I will definitely get a better picture.

@ fastfly67 its fanned down. And I can't get a better picture it just gets blurry and I don't see a gravid spot but when I got it, it was definitely not that round its bigger than my other creamsicle.

Once a day. That's what I was told to do by my teacher and I give them blood worms.

You only feed them bloodworms? You should probably get them some sort of flake food, since bloodworms aren't veggies lol, and I am pretty sure molly's need both protein and veggies. Flakes are a more rounded diet for most tropical fish. :)

Well of course they like them better lol! My bettas like the bloodworms better too, but they can't have them all the time or they will get sick. :(

Back
Top Bottom