Is my figure 8 puffer pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I maintain over 50 tanks currently and have been in the hobby for over 10 years (9+ of them on this forum). This isn't a jealousy issue, trust me. The thing about science is, it's true whether you choose to believe it or not.

Thread title edited. Please refer to the site's posting standards.

Biology. Yay.

Getting ready to put her in a 30 once I put my cichlids in my 55 she is in a 15 right now

Getting ready to put her in a 30 once I put my cichlids in my 55 she is in a 15 right now

I don't keep F8's, but I do have 2 Avocado puffers (Auriglobus modestus) in a 40 long. Puffers are really, really interesting fish to keep. If you have not done so already, I would suggest setting up a "snail farm" for breeding your own food (pond snails) for your puffer. I keep mine in a 10 gallon but you could pretty easily get away with a 5 gallon bucket and airstone if you do enough water changes. It is surprising how many pond snails a puffer can eat. We've had to start begging our local club members to bring us their extra pond snails at the monthly meetings. LOL. Your F8 should also readily accept ramshorn snails, if you prefer. Both are very easy to breed. Malaysian trumpet snails' shells are too hard from what I understand.

Here is an article that I found from the puffer forum, written by Pufferpunk, who I would certainly consider to be an expert on puffers. In her article, she says you can keep one F8 in a 15 gallon tank, by itself. In light of that, maybe you could use your 30 gallon for another project. :) The Puffer Forum • The Puffer Library » III. The Figure Eight Puffer; Colorful, Comical, Compact Fish

Remember, you need marine salt mix for a brackish water tank. Aquarium salt is not the same thing. Increase salinity slowly if your fish is currently in FW. Good luck!

*edit* if your question about largest tank was directed at me, this is currently my largest tank: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-gallon-tanganyika-tank-pic-heavy-302905.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom