Is my figure 8 puffer pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm no expert it puffers, let alone salt water, but she looks pregnant. And if she's freaking out, that's another sign that she'd be pregnant. I would say yes, but don't try to change anything for her. If she is, nature will do its job. If she isn't, no big deal :)

Unless she starts attacking other fish or starts being attacked it's probably just fine to leave her be.

I do not want to rain on your parade but most figure 8 Puffers do not breed in captivity, it is an extreme rarity... it is probably just well feed

No. Puffers are egglayers. As such, they can NOT become "pregnant" because fertilization of the eggs occurs outside the fish's body.

If there were young puffers in the tank in the store, it's because they came in with the other puffers, just at different sizes. Little is known about the breeding habits of this species, and instances of captive breeding are exceedingly rare.

It's pretty safe to say that a male/female pair of puffers is not going to breed in a hobbyist's tank... But with only one puffer in the tank, I can say this with 100% certainty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

That's a fungus on the driftwood (very common to see), not eggs.

Like I said before, it is a biological impossibility for your puffer to produce offspring on its own. Absolutely a 0% chance.

Not trying to make any one mad but I watched her lay some of them and I think you are kinda jelous

I just looked it up as well and the tiny but of info that showed their eggs looked like eggs...

Back
Top Bottom