Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by The boring name View Post
Haha that's great. I would love for this to become a sticky. Be very helpful to all the newcomers.
I'm working on it but for now, I think we need to keep bumping it to the front page so it doesn't get lost in the back.
A good word from my fellow AAers might help get this sticky thing "stuck" on the front page.

Happy fish keeping
__________________

__________________
Andy Sager is offline  
Old 07-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,756
Lets keep this alive. I can't believe the mods haven't made this a sticky by now. This is a topic that is brought up multiple times a day. basically if your live bearer is a female it is pregnant.
__________________

__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline  
Old 07-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
The boring name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: charlotte NC
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Lets keep this alive. I can't believe the mods haven't made this a sticky by now. This is a topic that is brought up multiple times a day. basically if your live bearer is a female it is pregnant.

That's 200% true haha
__________________
The boring name is offline  
Old 07-13-2014, 05:58 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kolkata, In
Posts: 162
IMO more than mere curiosity of a fish being pregnant/gravid, it is the excitement of having a fish spawn in the home aquarium. This is basically what leads to multiple threads created so often. Ich for eg, is a common disease that can prove fatal if not treated correctly. However how many thread here have been attributed to it?

P.S. only an Admin or a mod has the authority to make this thread a sticky.
__________________
Regards,
Arijit
hroom88 is offline  
Old 07-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Yarra Ranges, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 140
Thanks for the info. "Gravid" sounds a tad better than the "full of 'googs' " terminology I used!


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
mattoid is offline  
Old 07-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by hroom88 View Post
. Ich for eg, is a common disease that can prove fatal if not treated correctly. However how many thread here have been attributed to it?

P.S. only an Admin or a mod has the authority to make this thread a sticky.

I can only fight one front at a time.

I think it would great if there was also a sticky to a chart of common fish diseases and best treatments for them. A lack of full understanding of diseases, in many cases, is the reason there are so many threads for them. I can blame this on everyone from the store down to the hobbyist. IMO, If everyone had a book about proper fish care and diseases when they first set up a tank, there would be a lot less threads on this site and others about problems and more threads about good experiences to share. You don't want to know how large my library was when I got started and how much bigger it got by the time I was out of the business. lol

As for "P.S. only an Admin or a mod has the authority to make this thread a sticky.", thanks, one has already contacted me regarding this. We are working it out

Anyone want to take up the challenge for disease stickies?
__________________
Andy Sager is offline  
Old 07-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I can only fight one front at a time.

I think it would great if there was also a sticky to a chart of common fish diseases and best treatments for them. A lack of full understanding of diseases, in many cases, is the reason there are so many threads for them. I can blame this on everyone from the store down to the hobbyist. IMO, If everyone had a book about proper fish care and diseases when they first set up a tank, there would be a lot less threads on this site and others about problems and more threads about good experiences to share. You don't want to know how large my library was when I got started and how much bigger it got by the time I was out of the business. lol

As for "P.S. only an Admin or a mod has the authority to make this thread a sticky.", thanks, one has already contacted me regarding this. We are working it out

Anyone want to take up the challenge for disease stickies?
Im up for the disease sticky, Ive actually been thinking about doing one for a long time and this just gave me the little extra push.
__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kolkata, In
Posts: 162
I had thought of that a long time ago, but also realized identifying each disease accurately can be a tricky proposition. Without more than sufficient experience, you might end up with a lot of people across the globe putting a price on your head.
__________________
Regards,
Arijit
hroom88 is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
bashfoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 19
newbie here as some may know.. thanks for the tip. helps even if its basic info.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
bashfoto is offline  
Old 08-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
my guppy pregnant or no? sry pics blurry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1205.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	245554  
__________________

__________________
mouse1989 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
fish, newb, newbie, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Must read with new to hobby peps with sick fish Matt68005 Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 0 04-06-2014 10:22 PM
A 'must read' for all aquarists crazyred Aquaria Off-Topic 11 08-25-2006 07:04 PM
Aquarist Guidline - MUST READ runway1 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 12-29-2005 11:41 PM
Michigan-Chicago-Ohio Reefers MUST READ!! justreefing Aquaria Off-Topic 1 10-28-2003 01:55 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.