Is my guppy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can anyone tell me when I might be expecting babies? I really want to see it happen! I've had two pregnancies so far and missed both!

Attachments

• image-282556707.jpg
    image-282556707.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 55
  • image-1766309233.jpg
    image-1766309233.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 53
  • image-339430757.jpg
    image-339430757.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 51
I bought a fry basket/net similar to the one in the post above, when should I transfer my momma to it? Is there any drawbacks to putting her in there too early?

Well she poped last night but only had four fry. Is that common to have such a low number?

Yes, if this is the first time the guppy has been pregnant, you should expect lower numbers of survivors for the first few sets of babies. Some of my older guppies that have been breeding for a while can get up to 50 or more babies each time, but they are older. My newer guppies that I have raised up and their first time breeding usually get about 1-10 surviving babies each month. Not all the babies will survive either.

Yeah that's not uncommon for their first time. If there are males in the tank, she will get pregnant again and have some more, then get pregnant again and have even more, etc. - it is like a monthly cycle for me.

So basically if I plan on keeping the guppies I should invest in a fry tank

Well, if you want to keep and raise the babies then yes, but if you don't want all those babies then I would just let them breed in the tank like usual and if any babies survive then great, you can keep or sell them. I have a guppy tank and I usually just let them do as above, and I have a 10g tank where I reed them and raise the babies.

Yeah that's not uncommon for their first time. If there are males in the tank, she will get pregnant again and have some more, then get pregnant again and have even more, etc. - it is like a monthly cycle for me.

The female stores sperm. A male is not needed for the female to drop numerous batches of fry.

The female stores sperm. A male is not needed for the female to drop numerous batches of fry.

That is true, but females can only store sperm for about 6 months, so then she would need a male to breed again after a while. So you could get at least 6 batches of fry without a male if this is the first time.

Hey Tabbs, I had a look at your pictures and 'borrowed' one to show you an example.....
Where I have the arrow is where you'll notice her anal passage, swell, open and/or go pointy outwards(like an arrowhead). The two circles are the 'gravity spots' which usually get bigger and darker, the longer she is pregnant. The guppy on the right, that is what 'squared' or 'boxed' looks like. The one on the left is obviously pregnant, she is a lot more rounded... I will post some examples of my 'big' mamma, as of tonight....
Click on the picture to get a better look...

I don't think she really looks boxed yet

Was wondering when their colors appear. My first batch are nearly 2 weeks old and are getting big even the few days old ones are getting big.

Was wondering when their colors appear. My first batch are nearly 2 weeks old and are getting big even the few days old ones are getting big.
Hey, I find mine get some colour around 6 weeks. Some have a tiny bit on there tails around 4wks. What food are you using??

Back
Top Bottom