Is my guppy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teejay87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What do you guys think? If so how soon do you think I should expect them?

Attachments

• image-1794086033.jpg
    image-1794086033.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2136275687.jpg
    image-2136275687.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 126
Looks it, usually u can see a dark spot towards the back of the belly. But pretty soon!

She will get real "Box" shaped before dropping fry, I have two ladies that are within 48 hours of dropping right now. Yours looks like a week or so away so yes it will be soon, when she gets the "box" look ( look she will go more square than round) epexct babies soon!

What I notice with all my guppies is before they drop the fry, they get the box shape, but also form a white ring around the anal region where the babies would come out, that's when I put her in the breeder box.

Thanks for all the tips guys! One more question, when you say "boxed" do you mean from the side profile or head on? Or both?

Looking from the side, you will see her stomach with very defined "edges" looking like a box. Also, around the anal area were she will drop the fry will have almost a 90 degree angle it seems, that's when you know she is ready. Did that make sense?

Can anyone tell me how to post a pic to a thread? I think my guppy gave birth and I didn't know. Her gravid spot is still dark but she's thin.

Looking from the side, you will see her stomach with very defined "edges" looking like a box. Also, around the anal area were she will drop the fry will have almost a 90 degree angle it seems, that's when you know she is ready. Did that make sense?
Exactly as Dan described. Another thing I notice with mine is she hangs around the filter/heater, become very inactive, she stops eating or picks and spits out food....
My big mamma is going to drop tonight, another 40+ fry:cool::cool:.....

I have tried will will keep looking. I have pics in my album uploaded from this morning if anyone wanted to have a look for me. I'll never buy guppies from pet store again.

Teejay, she looks like she has another week on her. From my experience my guppies get a lot bigger than that before they are ready to pop, and her stomach still looks "regular" size...

Last edited:
Teejay, she looks like she has another week on her. From my experience my guppies get a lot bigger than that before they are ready to pop, and her stomach still looks "regular" size...

Thanks Dan, it's been awhile since I've had a tank and I don't want my first fry to all get eaten

Thanks so much :)
Hey Tabbs, I had a look at your pictures and 'borrowed' one to show you an example.....
Where I have the arrow is where you'll notice her anal passage, swell, open and/or go pointy outwards(like an arrowhead). The two circles are the 'gravity spots' which usually get bigger and darker, the longer she is pregnant. The guppy on the right, that is what 'squared' or 'boxed' looks like. The one on the left is obviously pregnant, she is a lot more rounded... I will post some examples of my 'big' mamma, as of tonight....
Click on the picture to get a better look...

Attachments

• user77273_pic54185_1364640888 eg.jpg
    user77273_pic54185_1364640888 eg.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 92
My big Mamma and her best friend. Her friend had her fry on Sunday night, she was almost as big!!!!

Attachments

• DSCF7446~1.jpg
    DSCF7446~1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF7446~1 eg.jpg
    DSCF7446~1 eg.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF7454~1.jpg
    DSCF7454~1.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF7460~1.jpg
    DSCF7460~1.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 84
Wow

My big Mamma and her best friend. Her friend had her fry on Sunday night, she was almost as big!!!!

She is huge lol :) Thanks so much for your help, I hope my girl didn't miscarry her babies and will keep an eye on her over the next few days. Hope Big Mumma goes well with hers.

She is huge lol :) Thanks so much for your help, I hope my girl didn't miscarry her babies and will keep an eye on her over the next few days. Hope Big Mumma goes well with hers.
Thanks. I hope the edited pictures helped. The best of luck with yours and keep us updated on any newbies....

Back
Top Bottom