Is my guppy pregnant??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mummytubbster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My guppy developed a orange/pinky back end which has gradually turned black, is she pregnant and if so how long before she has her fry, it has gradually turned black over the past few days. However she was black before she turned orange. Hopefully this will make sense to someone. I will try and attach a photo. Many thanks.

image-448514508.jpg

My guppy developed a orange/pinky back end which has gradually turned black, is she pregnant and if so how long before she has her fry, it has gradually turned black over the past few days. However she was black before she turned orange. Hopefully this will make sense to someone. I will try and attach a photo. Many thanks.

Yes she does seem to be pregnant. When her belly squares off then you will know she is days if not hours away from having fry

Thank you I'm a little confused as my other females are black but they haven't been pinky/orange,

Sorry, I meant that I have two other females who's undercarriage is constantly black and have never had a pinky/orange undercarriage the same as the one that I think is pregnant. I think it may be a case of just wait and see. Thank you for your help.

Well yes it is a waiting game but, as she nears birth , a gravid spot will form near her anal area. You will definitely notice it and her belly will literally get square

Thank you, I'm new to this after a 15 year break without fish, so all advice and info is muchly appreciated.

The orange/pinky stuff are the eggs you're seeing. The black stuff that gradually appeared are the eyes of the fry.

Yes she does seem to be pregnant. When her belly squares off then you will know she is days if not hours away from having fry

Yes, when her "gravid spot" squares off (not her belly) she should drop within 24 hours.

Well yes it is a waiting game but, as she nears birth , a gravid spot will form near her anal area. You will definitely notice it and her belly will literally get square

Her body will be bloated (mine look like they swallowed a ping-pong ball) and her gravid spot will look like a square when you look at her from the back. That's when she's ready.

Back
Top Bottom