Is my guppy pregnant or fat, or bloated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emuhlee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi i just got me guppy a couple days ago from my local pet shop that also had males mixed with it. i'm new to all of this, so i wasn't sure if she was pregnant or naturally hat a big belly. I got another one today and she kid of looks the same way. could they both be? These are the best pictures I can get. :fish1:

Attachments

• fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 125
  • fish3.jpg
    fish3.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 92
  • fish4.jpg
    fish4.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 82
  • fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 118
unfortunately my male and female died last night :'( my other female guppy seems to be doing well though. She looks the exact same as the other one i had.

and yes. she was pregnant. when i took her out, i saw the eyes :'(

It's possible. Or I over fed. I'm not sure. I'm so new to this...i had no idea about cycling or ph levels or anything..i have one female guppy left. Today my mom went and got 4 mollies or platys (no clue what they are) because the lady at the pet store said the let off a bacteria that makes the water good for other fish and they are easy to take care of. Well one of them is sitting at the bottom of the tank not moving much...just hours after getting him. ..im not sure what I need to buy to make everything okay.

Ah, hopefully comes good.

Great to see questions being asked - you sound well on your way.

Just to clarify to help - how long has the tank been running for now and is it cycled? Since you mention ph - do you have any water chemistry readings there. Ph, ammonia, etc.

Unfortunately I’ve never heard of what the pet store lady said. Sounds somewhat dubious I’m afraid.

How are you acclimatising the fish to the tank could be worth looking into.

Bacteria in a bottle is notoriously bad! There is only one that I have seen that consistently works and they don't sell it in any store I have ever been in. Keep checking your levels and doing large water changes any time your ammonia or nitrate gets over .25 ppm
What can you buy? It sounds like you need an API master test kit, don't bother with the test strips they aren't very accurate. Get a bottle of Prime and use that for your water conditioner. Don't worry about pH, messing with that will actually cause you more problems than just letting your fish acclimate to your water parameters.
All livebearers tend to be dirty fish. You are now doing a fish in cycle and will be doing a lot of water changes! The biggest thing is don't add any more fish until your tank is fully cycled!
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom