Is my male molly displaying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

triggerfishfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a male and female molly. She got quite aggressive over algae tablets earlier this week. Both seem to gobble up flakes very quickly.

I have a 19L fluval chi with a plant basket in the middle. The male keeps going side on to the basket and flicking himself off it sideways or swimming towards it and "backflipping" off/away from it. They seem to be swimming together in sync up and down (top to bottom) the tank and then swimming separate.

So, is my male displaying for her to mate??

They are probably playing in the outflow. My male and three females do that. They will swim into the outflow and let it push them away. I have seen them play in the CO2 bubbles too. Crazy fish. LOL They are also food hogs and are constantly searching for food. It is very normal for them to go up and down the glass. They are looking for algae. When the male is trying to mate he will chase the girl and shimmy up to her. He will present his side to her also and wiggle his tail fin. It looks like when a dog comes begging to you. He gets all wiggly and is almost shaking. Sometimes the female will get tired of this and fight him. Mine have torn plants out fighting. It is best to have a least two females for each male so the girls do not get over stressed.

Do you test your water regularly? If the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are fine the fish should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom