Is My Mollie Pregnant or just Fat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazy4fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
My mollie has been very big for well over A month is it still a possibility that she is pregnant or just fat??

Attachments

• image-3805890172.jpg
    image-3805890172.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,474
congrats!

She is about ready to pop out some babies! I would put whatever plan you have for the fry (babies) into actions.
your options
Breeder net in main tank and put her in it,
lots of plants in the main tank especially floating ones and whoever lives, well lives
wait, watch and scoop. The last is hard if you work or have school, I did that wait, watch and scoop, and I had lots of floating Anacharis at the time. I managed to save 2 fry. and they are very happy in their own tank growing to non eat me size. What else do you have in your tank?

Thank you so much I am just not sure she has been that fat for a few weeks so I'm not sure do you think she will have her babies real soon?

molly

Mine turned extremely boxy, and she got REALLY fat. her stomach made a straight line like a seam running down the underside of a boat. Also since your molly is light colored look for a gravid spot, you may be able to see the little eyes of the fry wiggling/moving neat her umm exit. do a google search for gravid spot pictures, I'd help you, but my mollies are all black no gravid spot. My molly is due in the next 72 hours. Hope it helps!

Thank you I will look for them! If you dnt mind me asking how do you know your mollie is due in the next 72hours?? Like what are the signs??

Hey it's a Dalmatian!! I have bred those before!!! Ya she about to blow

My Dalmation Molly is fat can anyone tell me like when is she gonna have her babies

Attachments

• 20120601_015211.jpg
    20120601_015211.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 458
  • 20120601_015020.jpg
    20120601_015020.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 336
  • Molly 1.jpg
    Molly 1.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 458
  • Molly 3.jpg
    Molly 3.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 271
bmachado912 said:
My Dalmation Molly is fat can anyone tell me like when is she gonna have her babies

Well i cant really tell. From the pictures it looks like your tank is a bit uncared for. No offense but i think that if you clean it up a bit it would be better for the fish.

bmachado912 said:

She looks to be in the early stages
Is that a Bala shark? You do know they need at least 125 gallons right?

sorry for the late reply, I had a busy couple days

I agree having a clean tank makes for a happy birth, and a better one. If the water is bad/unclean the babies will mostly get sick or be deformed. I knew my molly was going to give birth because she gave birth last month on the late evening of the 24th or the VERY early morning of 25 because I woke up to fry. She must like to drop them in the night hours. When you see fry from this molly, look to that date of the next month. Example, my molly gave me fry on 4/25/12 and I knew to look for more on 5/25/12, 6/25/12, etc till she is out of babies. I have no males so hopefully she'll be done having them. if you have males, you'll be seeing a lot more. She gave birth to only a few fry, I increased my plants in my main tank. I saved three. Even though I fed VERY well the previous night, had lots of plants for hiding and no light on. What can I say Tetras like Molly fry. :fish2:

From the fist pic she looks preggers. But if that is a Bala shark it may need a bigger tank 90- 95 gallons plus. Really nice Molly by the way!!! Hope she has babies!! :D

Back
Top Bottom