Is my Molly expecting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylittlemollies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering if anyone could tell me if my balloon Molly is expecting and if so is that a gravid spot near her rear end? Thank you for any adviceImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406371698.624409.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406371786.320914.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Probably pregnant... Her eggspot is pronounced and live bearers can store sperm for months so if you bought her within the last few months, most likely she is pregnant. If you want to keep the fry, put her in another tank (maybe your qt?) and let her give birth there. Or you can leave her in the tank and when she gives birth the fittest fry may survive if they can hide. The other fish and the mother will cull the rest.

Good luck, - Raymond

Looks like it! If you add extra plants and maybe floating moss some of the fry might make it without moving her. Moving tends to be stressful. More coverage/hiding spots the better

I have a floating breeder box in the tank already but not sure when to put my little lady in there. What signs should I look for that she is ready to give birth? Thank you everyone for your advice.

Her little spot will start getting really distended. She will also start looking a little squarish (a few hours to three days from birth)

On second thought. Just grab a lot of anacharis and hornwort. The viable fry will instinctively swim to the plant cover.

Make sure she stays happy because if they become stressed the premature fry will drown.

You will probably be okay though.

Good luck! - Raymond

Thanks Raymond. So you don't suggest moving her to the breeder box anytime soon? How far away do you think her babies are?

I would leave her in the tank and put a bunch of floating plants in like Angela said. Letting the fry fend for their own is an easy way to supplement your fish and help cull the weak. The stronger/smarter fish will hide and survive. I used to feed my betta mosquito fish fry (my friend and I would catch them at our local pond) and 3 or 4 males (didnt keep the females. they get rather aggressive) grew up and became peaceful tank mates with him :)

I would say within the next 1 1/2 to 2 weeks.

Ok great. What sort of plants should I put in? Sorry, I'm very new to this!

No problem. Questions is what this forum is for and the number one mistake rookies make is not asking questions so you are on the right track. :)

I would use hornwort. Anacharis works too but it can brown rather easier than hornwort (still incredibly resilient). So anacharis or hornwort depending on what you have at the stores nearby (you should look for a local fish store. much better than the chains) and depending on what you like more.

If you ever get into a more densely planted tank (you probably wont need to but it can be nice if you are into that) I would be happy to help.

To sum up, hornwort or anacharis. Just whatever you like more. Also remember to keep them in a bunch so you have dense foliage for them to hide in.

You will want to try and get some taller ones that will reach close to the top. Anacharis or hornwort are good for this. You also want to get some bottom plants too. They can be live or fake. Our bottom grass is fake our taller ones are real

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406423859.778107.jpg

We had a fake really tall plant in the left corner before. All our fry are bigger and none of the ladies are close to popping now so we swapped out some live plants for now. We left a spot to add the fake super tall plant back in if we need to

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406423955.813717.jpg

In case you don't know what they look like hornwort is on the far left and then the anacharis is over a bit from it- thicker leaves and a little shorter but they look sort of similar in some ways.

Not all places label plants correctly

I agree with what icy said- you will have much better luck finding hornwort in a local store over a chain. One of the petsmarts near me does have the anacharis

And once fry are here you can easily make smaller food for them by smashing regular food in a bag :) other people have said they will eat yeast but I just smash regular :)

Thank you everyone for your advice. I really hope my mollies fry survives! I will get some plants tomorrow. From what you are saying she isn't ready to drop yet?

I don't think so. Like someone else mentioned they get really boxy looking. In guppies they call it "squared off" not sure if the same term applies for mollies but j would assume it would since there are so few live bearers. On you tube if you google squared off guppy there is a really good video that shows the stages. Once they square off it is only a couple days at most

Here is the video. Obviously a tad different for mollies but it should still be helpful :)

Back
Top Bottom