is my molly pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktrain

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a molly today, and I'm now wondering if she may be pregnant or if she is just a pot-bellied molly? I attached a picture of her. if anyone could help out I would appreciate it very much. thanks a lot!

Attachments

• pregers_172.jpg
    pregers_172.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 630
Make sure you have places for the babies to hide if you want any of them to survive.

One of the first times I had a molly that gave birth I had a plastic container in the tank with a section at the bottom where the babies could go but the mother couldn't. I was catching the babies with a small net as they were born and moving them to an isolation net area in the same tank. Even doing this I saw her eat one before I could save it.

The babies would drop to safety in the bottom of the breeding container (I forget what it is called) and then a few seconds later would swim above it where the mother could eat them if she wanted to. The unlucky one I saw her eat swam to her head and rested on it just above the mouth and she simply swam backwards and ate it.

For future batches of fry I set up a 10 gallon tank where I would put the mother and had fake plants to give the babies places to hide until I removed the mother from the tank.

When you bought her it would've probably said on the card thingy but as far as I know balloon mollies are shorter and just plain fat when you get them.... were all the mollies in that tank that you bought them in fat? It probably is pregnant in my experience... hope you get babies X.x

has she had her fry yet? I am still waiting on mine. our fish look alot alike. It will be our first batch of fry. I am freaking out a bit, prob. watching too much and freaking her out too, any idea how long yours has been that big, mine seems to be for about 4 weeks or so now....they say any day now...let me know about yours and how she is doing...thanks...

i have a dalmation molly that looks like yours does and im not sure if it is pregnant
she was ok till yesterday she is now struggling to swim around
im off to buy a nursery tank for her just incase

I had some baby molly fish and your molly is deffo pregnant you should get a container put the babys in there till they get bigger or get another tank put the plants in there you can choose with or without the mum hope I helped.:scatter:

Back
Top Bottom