is my molly pregnant? and is she due to fry???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stacey and jason

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok my molly is definately pregnant im fairly sure of that, but Is she due to fry
these are symptoms i have noticed....

She is hanging around at the back of the tank a lot
She also hangs out near the heater a lot too
She is NOT very active
She is pooping more
She still has a healthy appetite maybe even a little greedy
She seems to want to be alone too
She is quite large
and she also has a teeny tiny pin end sized white spot where her bottom is

im new at livebearers and them breeding etc so could really do with some extra advice off anyone x please help!?!

Attachments

• resizedby50%twice.jpg
    resizedby50%twice.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 179
Hi, I can't really see a "bulge" from your pic, but chances are good that she could be by how she's acting. When 2 of my Mollies were pregnant they were doing the same thing. Unfortunately, I didn't have my breeder tank at the time, so they let loose the fry in the tank. I don't know exactly how many were born as I was at work when it happened w/ both of them, but a few did survive.

One of them was actually so small that it got sucked into the small slits in my filter intake and I found it when I was changing out my filter media. It came rushing out w/ the water flow as soon as I lifted the filter media out. I just happened to be looking in the area of the tank where it landed. By that time I had a breeder tank on reserve, put it in there and it grew big enough to be introduced into the tank.

Anyway, congrats! :D

If you have any specific questions about housing and feeding the fry, just let me know and I can try to help.

Get a breeder tank. It's a small tank that about 8"x5"x5" and it hangs on the edge and has slits on the sides so the aquarium water can flow. Also, there's a floor that you keep in there that looks like a grate so when the fry are born, they usually drop through the grate and are safe so the mother can't eat them. Then once she's done, you put her in the tank, take out the grate, so they have more room to swim.

If you want to keep the fry and continue breeding, definitely get 1 of those, it works perfectly, and it's not expensive at all.

more pregnant fish!!!

thanks for the replies guys now i have noticed two of my guppies looking rather large and one id say slightly squared off so now i have 3 pregnant fish quite far gone and am worrying about who will have fry first and if i will get to them in time to save them! all 3 fish (2 guppy 1 molly) are in a smaller tank togerther i spose its just a waiting game now? :/

My sister just had all five of her guppies give birth in a little over a week. Now she has over 50 fry.

oh my! thats a lot of fry! lol wish mine wud hurry up and have some allready its the only exitement i have around here! lol

yes she has to set up a grow out tank before her tank is over run! Ha! I have had a molly look like she is going to give birth and end up waiting like 2 to 3 weeks before it finally happens. Guppies are so much easier to tell when they are going to drop. When you have a black fish its even harder!

thats the problem lol she is a midnight black molly! ive been watching her for weeks too but no luck yet! i have 3 tanks set up - one is a tank for the fry when we get some lol x

She probably is I had one like that and be ready for more fry if she is. They can have baby monthly even without a male in the tank.

Best part of working in a fish store is that we can't sell the babies so they go home with me. All I do is lift ornaments from time to time and I find lots of fry lurking here and there. :D

Yea it might take her a while to have them. I know with guppies when there bellies stop looking roundish and start to square off at the bottom that means they will have there fry with in 24hrs. Not sure if same with mollies but with guppies that is how you can tell.

Back
Top Bottom