Is my platt pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cole0723

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got my 20 gallon tank up and running.I didn't want anything too big yet so I bought two platys.After 1 day in the tank one of the platys is hiding in one decoration all the time.It barely even comes to eat when I feed the fish.Is it hiding so it can lay eggs or is something wrong with my fish.

1. Pictures would be great.
2. Platys are livebearers which mean that they don't lay eggs but give birth to already swimming baby's. Mollies guppies and goldfish are also in this category.
Also if you could look at your water parameters and tell us what they are that would be great.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

1. Pictures would be great.
2. Platys are livebearers which mean that they don't lay eggs but give birth to already swimming baby's. Mollies guppies and goldfish are also in this category.
Also if you could look at your water parameters and tell us what they are that would be great.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Actually goldfish are not live bearers. They are an egg laying fish.

I just got my 20 gallon tank up and running.I didn't want anything too big yet so I bought two platys.After 1 day in the tank one of the platys is hiding in one decoration all the time.It barely even comes to eat when I feed the fish.Is it hiding so it can lay eggs or is something wrong with my fish.

Was this tank cycled? If not, you need to carefully monitor your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates to avoid harm to your fish. Do you have a liquid test kit?

That said, it's not uncommon for a new fish to hide. It's a new environment and they are trying to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom