Is my platty preggers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have ordered a nest box which is due to be delivered tomorrow! Do I just catch her and her mate and put them in there till she has them?! I don't really want to separate them as there really close. I will keep you in mind for rehoming of she has one that looks like her!

We have ordered a nest box which is due to be delivered tomorrow! Do I just catch her and her mate and put them in there till she has them?! I don't really want to separate them as there really close. I will keep you in mind for rehoming of she has one that looks like her!
Only put her in the box, the male will eat the fry otherwise. It is possible the mother may eat them too. This is normal, so don't freak out!!. I find if you keep them well fed, they don't bother too much with the fry. The healthy fry are also super quick, so it's survival of the fittest. I would leave her in the tank as long as possible. Some fish freak out, understandably, in those boxes. Now it is pretty normal for some fry to not make it, so again don't get too worried about this. If she seems stressed in the box, I would leave her in the tank and bunch together some fake plants tightly together. This will be a great hiding spot for the fry. They square off or become 'boxed' a day or two before they give birth. It's hard to describe and I have no pictures at the moment but if you google image or youtube it, you will see what I mean...
A few signs of imminent birth are,
The Squaring off or boxing look
She may become lethargic
She may stop eating
She may hang around the bottom, in the corners or around the heater.
I say 'may' a lot because from my own experience, she may not show any or all of these signs.....

Hi, she still hasn't dropped! Slightly worried! It's been nearly 3weeks since I last posted and god knows how far she was when we got her!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394906315.079761.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394906459.166120.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394906547.519392.jpg
She won't stay still lol

Back
Top Bottom