Is my platy dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hello Th3r3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a platy that is trying to give birth. She either sits on the gravel or lies on it side ways. Will my platy give birth or will she die? Is there anything I can do to help her? :(

Laying on her side is not a great sign. Usually when a livebearer is giving birth, they will hover in one spot and breathe a little heavier. They dont usually lay down unless they are sick and dying. What does your water test show the water parameters to be? Make sure you have no ammonia or nitrites.

It doesnt sound good, but I hope she bounces back. In my personal experience, female platys seem to struggle with the birthing process, and more often than not die afterwards. For some reason it just seems too hard on them.

Laying on her side is not a great sign. Usually when a livebearer is giving birth, they will hover in one spot and breathe a little heavier. They dont usually lay down unless they are sick and dying. What does your water test show the water parameters to be? Make sure you have no ammonia or nitrites.

It doesnt sound good, but I hope she bounces back. In my personal experience, female platys seem to struggle with the birthing process, and more often than not die afterwards. For some reason it just seems too hard on them.

Actually, it is the 2nd time the platy is giving birth.
She sits in one place and sometimes goes on her side and than swims for a bit. The fry that she gave birth to before are biting her too.
I got my water tested 2 days ago in petsmart and everything tested in the safe range.

Back
Top Bottom