Is my platy going to drop fry soon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennamckay

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just recently got 3 platys from my local pet store and wound up with two pregnant females. One looks a lot more pregnant than the other though. She is looking square, is very dark around her gravid spot, but is eating fine and isn't acting any different than normal. It looks like she's about to burst to me! What do you think? Should I have some fry soon?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396481112.106755.jpg

I've done a lot of research cause my platty is Prego too. Apparently when they start to look like -----> \___/ that's when they're gonna drop. Is yours aggressive?

She isn't aggressive at all actually. She kinda just does her own thing and doesn't bother the other fish. I just assumed if she was close to giving birth her mood would change a little but she's still swimming around normally and eating plenty

How often do you reckon I should feed my Prego platty? I only asked cause mine is super aggressive

I don't actually have too much experience in that area. I usually just feed all my fish once a day and she also eats some of the live plants I have in my tank, as well as algae off my rocks

I have no clue, I was actually wondering the same thing... Does she need more feed than the others

I don't think pregnant fish really "need" more than others. Mine comes to the top and get her fair share of flakes and if she's still hungry she goes for the live plants.

Still hasn't dropped but I'm not home at the moment! Should be any time

I have my Prego platty on the other side of a wall that's all. So I never no how much to just feed her.

The general rule of thumb is to feed fish as much as they can eat in about 3 minutes so I would just stick with that. I wouldn't over feed because that can cause a lot of issues in the tank. Fish can go a while without any food at all so I would stick with the normal 3 minutes rule for feeding her

Okay thanks :) sorry I'm new to all of this stuff. Go figure first time I get a fish an it becomes prego lol

Mine looked exactly like that about two days before she dropped, she had about 35 fry

Back
Top Bottom