Is my platy going to drop frys soon? Pics provided!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffnstuff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought two great new platies yesterday and the person that assisted me said that they were pregnant. I've researched online about how to tell when she'll give birth, but I want to be 100% sure because I'm extremely worried about stressing them when they're not even ready to drop yet. So I've noticed that their stomach is starting to square off and there is a white bulb near their anus, which I'm told are the two biggest factors in seeing when they're ready to drop. Please tell me if the information given to me is correct and if my platies are ready to go into the breeding box. Also, does my fish tank have enough plants for me to avoid using the breeding box? This fish tank only occupies 2 fishes, which are the platies.

Attachments

• IMG_2580.jpg
    IMG_2580.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2585.jpg
    IMG_2585.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2594.jpg
    IMG_2594.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2590.jpg
    IMG_2590.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 118
She is not square
I'd remove her and let her drop in the tank then net out the fry

Just curious, what's the tied bag of sand for? It looks cool, just wondering if it had a purpose! :) I"m also awaiting the drop of fry, it's an annoying waiting game...

Smcoyle87 said:
I would keep her in the box, she will eat the fry.

They can get stressed and abort the fry if kept in there for longer than two days . She would not eat the fry because she has a special hormone which make her not feel Hungry for about 8 hours after birth. Like emarald said , just release her and net the remaining fry, thats what I do and I usually get a good amount

She's not quite ready yet, maybe another week or two and she'll be ready to drop

Back
Top Bottom