Is my platy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreek

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help! I just got 2 female platys from my local fish store, I think one of them is pregnant. I noticed her belly is pretty large, and she has a small black line on it. My other female looks very big also, but she doesn't have the black line. Last time I had platys, they had LOTS of fry, and it didn't go well :( shes also spending lots of time at the bottom of the tank. I think the store kept males and females together.

They are both in a 20 gallon with 2 male honey gourami and 7 neon tetras....If she is pregnant, what do I do with the fry?! I'm so worried :(

Do you have a picture? If we could see the fish it may help

Yes I will get a picture tonight. also, shes at the bottom of the tank breathing very heavy.

EDIT: So i'm extremely confused..the store told me they were BOTH female, but one of them looks like a male *the one that doesn't have the black line*

I will post a pic of both of them, and you guys can tell me which one is male and which is female. i'm still new, so i'm not sure which one is which. :(

How to tell which is male and female? Sorry for bad quality. the top is the one that i think is the male, and the bottom i think is the female. it's hard to see the little black line in the photos though.

Attachments

• platy.jpg
    platy.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 53
  • platy 2.jpg
    platy 2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 52
Top one is a male. I'm not sure on the bottom one. Females will have a fan shaped anal fin, while males have a rod shaped anal fin.

The bottom one does not appear to be pregnant. If it were, a very dark spot would appeal above the anal fin, making the fish look "full" so to speak

Back
Top Bottom