Is my platy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 2 platys a molly 2 corys and a goldfish from the fair. A lot of plants in this 10 gallon tank.

Yes, but I would recommend rehoming the goldfish. He will outgrow your tank as well as eat the fry.

One thing to note about the family Platies is they store sperm. The most popular Livebearers are always pregnant when you get them. I second finding a new home for the goldfish. I would also like to point out cories are schooling fish.

+1 on rehoming the goldfish. They're coldwater fish that get too large for a ten gallon. Also +1 on cories being a schooling fish. Two cories is simply not enough to keep them happy.

I have a koi pond that I am going to put the gold fish in but we have not finished building it yet. It will be about 2500 gallons and will be raised.

And pretty much anything will eat the fry not just the goldfish

Most pregnant live bearers from my experience get a dark spot on their bum. Not in my picture my blue female spotted platy, she will be having her babies in about 2 weeks. Also, are the other fish picking on your goldfish. Many keepers of goldfish and koi, like myself, will tell you that most tropical fish will kill goldfish or koi because they enjoy eating the slime coat off the koi or goldfish. If so please remove the goldfish from the tank. I tried this once with a pond comet and neon tetras and rasboras, they started shredding the fins and its slime coat was getting picked off. The goldfish became very sick and I had to set up a hospital tank for it. It lived. IMG_1603.jpg

Back
Top Bottom