Is my Red Wag Swordtail in labor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caspar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Red Wag suprised me tonight. I have suspected she was pregnant but could not tell due to her coloration. Tonight however she is displaying a swollen stomach that is block shaped and I can make out the eyes of the fry.

Right now she is laying on her side in the breeding net at the surface of the water. She is breathing and all but I am not sure if this is typical of a fish in labor. I hope that someone is up at this late hour that could let me know, I would hate if she were to die, her and the other two swordtails cycled my tank for me and I just want to be sure to take care of them. I have'nt experience any deaths yet and would like to keep it that way.

Thanks!

Caspar, this is not normal. When livebearers "livebear" they just drop them and if they get the chance they eat them. They do not really go into labor so I would suspect that something is up. Don't be too worried it could be slight pain but I would never have seen it coming.

Thanks for your reply. Something was wrong and the lady passed away shortly after I posted this thread.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Sometimes giving birth results in the death of a livebearer. A healthy delivery is exactly like EXM describes.

I am sorry. Good luck in the future. I wonder what had happened? The way you described it, it sounded like low oxygen levels though I doubt it.

I don't think it was low oxygen either because I had just finished changing more than 50% of the water. My other fish are doing fine, I even added 3 Corys to complete stocking my 29Gal last night and I have 8 plants.

Thanks again for your replies folks. I have another female and she looks like she is getting close. She has delivered a brood before so I don't think she will have any problems.

Take Care!

Back
Top Bottom