Is My Swordtail Trying to Mate with My Guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trustemedia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Check out the very beginning and then at about 57 seconds in through the end. Trying to figure out what the heck my male swordtail is doing around my female guppy. It looks to me like he's showing off and dancing for her like some sort of mating ritual. But, have to wonder if he's warning her about something since I've never seen this behavior before. Looking for someone to weigh in on his actions. He's doing the dance at the beginning of the video and the end of the video. He's been doing this for a couple days. Swims a circle and dances in front of her, repeat. She hides in the bushes.

Is My Swordtail Trying to Mate with My Guppy? It's Dancing Around Her. - YouTube

just judging by the vid the HER you refer 2 may be a HE... the anal fin looks a bit pointed, like a gonopodium, for it 2 be female...

Male

Definitely a male guppy. My bad for thinking that. I swore I got a female yellow and orange and male blue and red. Problem is that I know for sure the yellow is female and just found blue pregnant, so orange had to be a male. Otherwise, I didn't know how to tell. And I just caught the swordtail doing that again yesterday with no one around, so I figured out he was playing in the filter current. Thank you!

No prob!! For future referance males have their anal find modified into a primitive penis called a gonopodium and are slender and semi pointed, and females anal fins are fan shaped... this change happens around 4 months of age...

Back
Top Bottom