Is she pregant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platyboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone help

Attachments

• image-1819508007.jpg
    image-1819508007.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 82
It definitely looks preggos but keep and eye on it, when it starts squaring off it may give birth soon

Thank you do you have any idea hiw long till she gives birth

I would say yes she is. "Gravid females are easily distinguished by their bulging mid-body area. The area grows considerably prior to the female releasing the brood. As it grows it acquires a lighter colouration, which is the result of the skin around the area being stretched. This is sometimes referred to as 'developing a lighter spot' and is an indication that the fry are about to be released" Here is more info http://www.mchportal.com/fishkeeping-mainmenu-60/stock-the-inhabitants-mainmenu-79/breeding-hints-and-tips-mainmenu-83/535-keeping-and-breeding-platies-xiphophorus-sp.html

As to when she will give birth, it all depends. It is up to her. Whenever she feels ready. I hope this helps!

Should i pit her in to the trap necause i would like to keep the fry

I'd give it Few weeks from now but it also depends on the quality of your water as well, you should think about quarantining the fish until it gives birth. I took some plastic screening and wrapped it around the filter intake so that the fry won't get sucked up.

Can anyone tell how much longer approx

Attachments

• image-1833701659.jpg
    image-1833701659.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 76
It is quite difficult to tell from a pic, just how close a fish might be to giving birth. Some fish don't like being confined in the breeding net or box, as they don't provide much swimming room, so depending what method you use, leaving her to the last minute, more or less, may be less stress on her.

If you can provide another tank, and furnish it with mosses or breeding grass, then you can leave her in that and not worry when the fry are born, as most of them will be able to hide and not be eaten. Once you see she has given birth you remove her.

If you can't do another tank, then get the largest breeding net or breeding box you can find, or that will fit on your tank, and keep an eye on her. The signs you have been told about are the only ones anyone knows, except by experience with a given fish, so you have as good a chance as anyone to tell when it might be close to the time, and put her in the net then.

Good luck. And if you don't have too much success this time, don't worry too much. You'll get another chance, as she is very likely to get pregnant again, unless you do not have any male fish for her to mate with.

How much longer please help

Attachments

• image-297668768.jpg
    image-297668768.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 73
No one can really tell how long from a picture. You'll just have to be patient and she will have them when she has them. Even if you knew the exact date she bred, there are only average times to birth, not set numbers of days.

She is pooping alot anyone know why
She actually looks smaller in the second picture than the first one. As was said, it's quite hard to tell from a picture. Patience is the key, you will have fry every month, so plenty of chances of getting it right. Even without a male, they can have 3-6 batches of fry without the male. The female stores sperm, if needed.
The first picture I would have said, 7-10 to days. The second one I would say more like two weeks. The signs I look out for is;
She becomes very square.
She stops eating or eating and spitting it out.
She becomes very lethargic.
She will hang around the bottom and/or the heater.
She will poop a lot but usually one large poop a day of so before she drops.
I notice these signs, 1-2 days before she gives birth. Ideally I prefer not to use traps but if you have no other choice, wait as late as possible. When you see any of these signs, you could try putting her in the trap. Some fish don't like traps AT ALL and some don't seem to mind. It is vital that if they reacts badly to the trap that you remove her. She can abort the fry and the stress can kill her. If/when you put her in the trap, turn off any bubblers and lights. I tend to put them in late at night. This usually reduces stress. Some people even cover the whole tank with a towel until she gives birth. After a few births it will be much easier to spot the signs of imminent birth. I hope this helps.....Ian

Back
Top Bottom