Is she pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up my 3rd female platy about a week, maybe week and a half ago I'd say. I had actually planned to get another mickey mouse to go with the 2 F and 1 M I already had but the mickey tank was not looking really well, they were all rather slow and listless and many were just hanging near the bottom.

I was looking through the other platy and fell in love with this girl. She has such energy to her and was one of the brightest colored females in the tank. I also thought that perhaps she was pregnant.

I'm not sure though if she is or if she is just fat, she's much larger in general than my other platy. As I've said I've had her for about a week and a half. She hasn't changed her look a lot that I notice. Maybe she's gotten bigger but I look at my fish so often it's hard to notice a difference. She is very active to there has been no change in her behavior. She's still the life of the tank

I expected that if she was pregnant she would be farther along but after a week or so with no change I'm not too sure. I've been doing some reading through forums and such and I've seen the mention of internal parasites causing bloating and this has me a little worried too

Any thoughts? TIA! and sorry about the size and quality. She sure moves fast and these were the best I could get

img_2067997_0_a59b80b8bf83f7a28ea0e7e0b0c18ea8.jpg

img_2067997_1_c9d665588e4b1d1dd628268786425611.jpg

img_2067997_2_ba3a8ee12e0bb08938e234efca7544b8.jpg

To me (and this is just my opinion) she doesn't look pregnant, she will develop a gravid area near her anal fin. The spot more than likely be a more orangish color opposed to a darker color. Very cute little girl though!

To me (and this is just my opinion) she doesn't look pregnant, she will develop a gravid area near her anal fin. The spot more than likely be a more orangish color opposed to a darker color. Very cute little girl though!

I had accepted that she was not pregnant and just perhaps a chunky monkey. Then low and behold I was doing a quick gravel vac today and came across fry!

I only came across 2 because I moved something with the vac and am not sure if she is even done having them. She's still fat. lol.

She was hanging out in the back corner last night acting a little strange but it was also night and she was still swimming around periodically. I'm guessing sometime between then and now she dropped them. Of course she picked the gouramis "spot" he hangs out in this corner a lot so I'm not sure if he's eaten them or if she's still not done. She's gone and hidden out in a few spots on and off but not for very long. I'm hoping the fry will move off and take shelter in the other side of the tank where my caves and other plants are and they will be safer. In the mean time I tore some stems off of a fake plant and have them floating on the top for some shelter too.

So here's hoping they make it. I was really not expecting this so it was a big surprise when I almost sucked one up.

Back
Top Bottom