Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is She Pregnant (Tiger Barb)

Last night I posted this thread because one of my Tiger Barbs seemed to be staying very close to the heater for unusual lengths of time. For the couple of days (except for today) she was just sitting there right next to the heater. It almost looked as if she was mesmorized by it.

Today, she's out and about with the other Barbs just fine, but she looks ENORMOUS! I've never been one to breed fish (although someday I may take a crack at it) so I'm not sure if she's pregnant or if she just overate. Either way, I'm not in a position right now to remove her to her own tank so the eggs (if this is what's going on) will most likely be eaten by the others.

I have one other Barb who's also on the 'bigger' side, but not as big as the one I'm posting about. I'm assuming that they're both femal from what I've read online about sexing them (bigger bellies, no bright coloration on the nose, etc).

Anyway, here are some photos of her. Can you please let me know if she looks pregnant to you or sick?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pgtb1.jpg
Views:	1330
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	16478   Click image for larger version

Name:	pgtb2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	16479  

Old 12-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow, she is VERY pregnant!

Old 12-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I spoke to soon... I just turned around and she's back with the heater again.

This may seem like a dumb question, but is there anything I can do to help her or make her feel a bit more comfortable? I know that if she is indeed pregnant, she'll know what to do and she'll do it when she's ready, but she looks kind of uncomfortable right now.

Also, where would I look for the eggs?

Here she is with the heater...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pgtb3.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	16481  
Old 12-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I have no experience with tiger barbs but if she is egg bound she is very egg bound. Try raising the temp a bit and do a water change.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The first thing I said when I saw this was WOW! Like seriously out loud not in my head LOL!! She deff prego.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Now I feel bad that I hadn't noticed this sooner. She was sticking close to the heater for the past couple of days so getting a really good look at her was difficult. That plus the fact that I hadn't been home a lot lately.

I just turned the heat up a bit and will go a little bit higher tomorrow. How high should I raise it? I'll also do a PWC tomorrow. I'd do it tonight, but it's to late for that now.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just make sure it raises around 3-5 Degrees, and do PWC like said before, it's going to be hard to get any fry unless you siphon the eggs since they are egg scatters, plus withh all those other fish in the 75G, but you never know.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

[quote=GouramiFanatic;929569]
I have one other Barb who's also on the 'bigger' side, but not as big as the one I'm posting about. I'm assuming that they're both femal from what I've read online about sexing them (bigger bellies, no bright coloration on the nose, etc).

As stated, Barbs are egg layers so she can't be pregnant. If the other Barb is indeed a female then I'm not so sure she is ripe with eggs. If she is and there is no male to fertilize them then no fry. Hopefully, the other barb is a male and you're lucky enough to get some fry.

Is your substrate course rock? The fry need places to hide till they are bigger. Also, you'll be hard pressed to see the fry for a couple of weeks. When they are born they are smaller than daphnea.

Good luck
Old 12-05-2008, 06:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks everyone. I got up early today and did a PWC. I have 7 Barbs total and only 2 of them (the normal tigers) are larger. I think the rest (3 albino and 1 green) are all male. Hopefully one of the boys will step up to help her out! I'm not really to concerned with keeping any of the fry. Unfortunately, I don't have a tank set up right now to care for them so I'll have to let nature take it's course this time around. I feel bad about it, but I really have no choice right now.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

No reason to feel bad about letting nature take it's course.
Maybe you'll get a green tiger barb as a result.

Tags
barb, pregnant, tiger, tiger barb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com