Is she ready to Pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elpez

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this fish pregnant or is she overeating? I am clueless, I am to this hobby!

Attachments

• Platy.jpg
    Platy.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 117
Ok thanks. I got a breeder box last night and put her in there. How long can they really stay in there without stressing? Should I take her out and put her back in a couple of days?
Thanks

i would wait a little before putting her in, i don't keep my guppies in for more than a day

Her tummy will start to square off. She might exclude herself and hide whilst giving birth. Don't keep her in the breeder thing for more then a day and a half.

Ok thanks Sam!
So if I put her in the box and nothing happens in a day and a half, i should take her out for awhile and the put her back in?

How about the male following her and hitting her on the side. Does that mean anything? Is he helping her?

How about the male following her and hitting her on the side. Does that mean anything? Is he helping her?

Nope. He is trying to flirt with her more. Males don't really know if the fish is gravid or not, they just try to mate all the time.

As was said, only a day or 2 in the breeder box. It is hard to give you an exact day because not fish drop fry at the same time. They can hold onto them for a few days if need be, or they can drop them a bit early if need be. If your tank is well planted, fry will survive even without a breeder box.

I do have some plants but just with the barbs in there I doubt they ll last 2 minutes. Those things are like lighting bolts when anything moves. I also have 2 rainbow sharks, a bolivian ram, 3 buenos aires tetras and 5 black skirt T.

I have anacharis, red ludwigia, mondo grass, crested java fern, hornwort, and java fern. A few of each.

if i were you i would pick up java moss or something similar. i have so many guppies that i don't always have an available breeder, so when mine give birth in my tank all my fry hide n the java moss. mine looove to hide in between the moss and the duckweed at the top. also putting her back in the breeder would be risky. it will stress her out more, since if she is about to pop and she doesn't pop the first day, she will pop the next day or so and then she won't have enough time to relax. therefor make sure to put her in only when she is square. sorry if any of that is confusing

Thanks! It's not confusing. The question is how square, this is the first time for me. Actually when two weeks ago I got two platies, including this one.
One day I came back from work and I noticed 5 fry in the overflow of my tank, and a dead platy. I didnt even notice she was gravid, I think it was that one. The other platy I have is a male.

So it's been 17 days and she is still the same. How long can the hold the fry in there for?
Yesterday I took her out of the 80G tank and put her in a 5G tank with 5 other platty fry to see if she does anything.

Back
Top Bottom