Is this angelfish male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolenebailey

Aquarium Advice Regular
What does anyone think. This is the "male" in my pair . I thought it was a male but have been told otherwise. Pic taken 2 days after eggs. (from the female)

Attachments

• image-4126837393.jpg
    image-4126837393.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 82
Hard to tell with that pic. Hard to tell with angels in general really.
Post a more side on pic and I'll take a look. I'm not great at it but know what to look for. I've sexed 4 angels correctly now in my own tanks

FwA said:
Hard to tell with that pic. Hard to tell with angels in general really.
Post a more side on pic and I'll take a look. I'm not great at it but know what to look for. I've sexed 4 angels correctly now in my own tanks

Attachments

• image-3160027228.jpg
    image-3160027228.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 73
That angel is a hard one. The bump on the forehead tell me it's a male. But the area between the fins at the bottom is angled which is a female characteristic.
My guess is female though. As one of my females has a small bump too. The angle is the best way I've found. Plus your fish looks a bit swollen in the first just above where the papilla comes out.

Only certain way to tell us the pointed(male) or blunted(female) tube though. It pops out about 2hrs before they spawn.

Oh and watch your angel as u feed it. My female is huge and swolen again after only 10 days, after being well conditioned. The male is still same size as usual, but slightly more aggressive.

Yeah it's pointed,looks completely different to my egg laying female. So I'm hoping it's male. Wish I could get a close up pic to be sure but it just turns out fuzzy

If it was pointed. Definitely male. Without a doubt. And I know the feeling trying to get high quality pics. Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom