Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is this Guppy "squared off" and about to give birth?

I keep missing my guppies births as Ii've not really got a good grasp of what being "sqaured off" is. Please look at these pictures and tell me how long you think these guppies have till they give birth. Sorry the pictures aren't great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	98272   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	98273  

Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	98274   Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	98275  

Old 06-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #2

Two problems here:
1.) the pictures are bad quality or
2.) your tank is in horrendous shape and needs a water change.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrskater1999 View Post
2.) your tank is in horrendous shape and needs a water change.
you really can't make that judgement by those pictures. I agree that the pictures are poor quality but that's no reason to bash someone. You don't know what the water parameters are or the water change schedule.

Sorry I don't know a lot about telling when I guppy is going to give birth except that from what I've red the gestation period is about 28 days.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hard to tell from the pics really but it appears she is hanging out by the heater which is a sign that she is soon going to birth.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well from what i wan see, the orange tailed guppy is ready to pop any day, and so is your other guppy.

And guys, the pictures could be bad quality because of a glare from a window or lamp, but if it is the water that is cloudy , something needs to be done. Females like to birth after a water change, so you could try that to trigger birthing.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole

you really can't make that judgement by those pictures. I agree that the pictures are poor quality but that's no reason to bash someone. You don't know what the water parameters are or the water change schedule.

Sorry I don't know a lot about telling when I guppy is going to give birth except that from what I've red the gestation period is about 28 days.
I said that the pictures were bad quality OR the tank needed a water change. I wasnt bashing.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry I just don't think you should make assumtions without asking a few questions first. instead of assuming their water quality was bad you could have asked "is there any way to get a better picture? It is kind of cloudy or blurry". and cloudy water doesn't always mean something is harmful for the fish.
anyway... looks like some other people gave some insightful answers already, maybe try a water change a see if that induces labor? lol.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #8

thanks for the help, I missed the black guppy's birth and they all got eaten in the main tank. I'm keeping an age on the orange one waiting for them any day soon, however her gravid spot is a orangey colour instead of black? As for the conditions in the tank, they are fine, I do regular tests and it's an established tank, due to it's window location there is a large amount of algae in the tank which may appear to make it look unclean.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole
sorry I just don't think you should make assumtions without asking a few questions first. instead of assuming their water quality was bad you could have asked "is there any way to get a better picture? It is kind of cloudy or blurry". and cloudy water doesn't always mean something is harmful for the fish.
anyway... looks like some other people gave some insightful answers already, maybe try a water change a see if that induces labor? lol.
I wasnt making assumptions. When i said that i wasnt saying they had water problems. I thought that would trigger something like "oh ya i havent changed the water in a while." i wasnt trying to be rude.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #10

I really haven't taken any offence at all here and can totally understand the initial anguish at the thought that my guppies were in bad conditions, however I really would just appreciate some guidance on how I can ensure that I time putting the guppies in the breeding trap at the correct time as I keep losing fry from mis-timing.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87
I really haven't taken any offence at all here and can totally understand the initial anguish at the thought that my guppies were in bad conditions, however I really would just appreciate some guidance on how I can ensure that I time putting the guppies in the breeding trap at the correct time as I keep losing fry from mis-timing.
Well from what i heard from someone, they said they remember the exact day the fish gave birth and around that time they start looking at the fish and moving it to the trap
Old 06-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have watched my guppies and from the day she gave birth and it was 29 days to her next batch, if you know the day then you should be able to time it within a day or two
Old 06-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

She looks like her stomach is going down and not squaring off
Old 06-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

From the pictures I would say that she is hanging out by the heater so IMO I would say she is squaring off

Tags
birth, guppy, square

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com